[comp.sys.cbm] Help doc on UX-Maze Mail Server file transfer 1

scott@max.u.washington.edu (11/18/89)

Subject: Introduction to UX-Maze's Mail Archive Server (Monthly Posting)
From: acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu)
Date: 1 Nov 89 08:00:46 GMT

LAST CHANGE: Oct 30th, 1989.

            Introduction to UX-Maze's Mail Archive Server

NOTE:  This archive server has nothing to do with USC.  It is a
service provided by me to the Net.  Please do not abuse this service,
I am only a student here, and wouldn't afford get kicked out of school
because of this joke of Archive!

                              DISCLAIMER
                              ----------

All the software in the UX-Maze Mail-Archive is provided AS IS with NO
WARRANTY.  I Cannot guarantee that it is good for any particular
purpose, or even that it works.

I try to attempt to examine the software submitted to me, but as with
all free software written by strangers, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE
INSTALLING BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT!

                             INTRODUCTON
                             -----------

The idea of this Server is to serve request of popular programs for
the Commodore 8-bit family of computers.  This is due because of the
INCREDIBLE lack of FTP Archive sites for the Commodore.

This Archive, is basicly, user supported.  So if you don't see the
file that you are looking for, is because nobody, has bothered to
submit it to me...  (If you see anything that you think should be
here, don't hesitate to submit it.  See the instructions on how to
submit files bellow)

                           Server Software
                           ---------------

The way the Server is written, it is simply a hook to the Sendmail
forwarding mechanism.  The entire server software is writen in Bourne
Shell scripts.  The Server is available from here, by requesting file:
   send unix-support server

How the Server Works:
To make use of the server you have to send a Mail message to me,
<acliu@skat.usc.edu> and have a subject line:
   Subject: Mail-Archive-Request
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!  If you don't have that line spelled exactly
like that you won't get anything, and I will get a mailbox full of
junk messages.  Somewhere along the header there should be a line
saying:
Usually, mail adds this automagically, but if it were not the case,
you can specify a return path by puting a line in the body of your
message saying:
   path <from me to you>

In the body of your message you put the Mail Archive request.  You can
put several request in a single message, one request per line.  The
following request are honored:  (Send a "help commands" for details)

   path <return path from to you>
       Forces M-AR to send the file to the mailing address specified
       in its argument
   help [topic]
       Sends help on the topic.  Default is this intro file. Make a
          help topics
       request for a list of topics for help
   contents [volume]
       Sends the contents of the volume.  Defualt will send the list
       of available volumes AND the contents of the Help volume.
   index [volume]
       Sends the directory list of the volume.  Default will send the
       directory for help volume
   send [volume] [file]
       Sends the file on the specified volume.  Default Volume is
       help, and default file is contents.

Please note that all the request keyboards are in lowercase letters.
And the ARE case sensitive.  That means, you can't send a message:
   cOnTeNts help
and  expect the server to understand you.

                           Submitting files
                           ================

   The server allows other users to submit files to the server.  To do
this, send a Server request as you would normally do, but instead of
sending normal request, you enter the following line:

   receive volume file

And after that, include a UUencoded/shar'ed version of the file you
are submitting.

For more info,
   help contribution

                  FEEL FREE TO SUBMIT STUFF ANYTIME

Questions and suggestions, send them to the same address, but don't
put a Mail-Archive-Request subject line.  (Just think of it of yet
another mail message)

NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE  NOTE NOTE NOTE
Currently the Server software is in beta testing.  If you experience
any problems, send mail to me.  (Just don't put a Subject:
Mail-Archive-Server) on it.  I will try to figure out what is wrong.
Tough, I can't guarantee that the Server will work for ALL systems.

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu      acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)