[comp.sys.cbm] terminal emulators

nadolny@paul.rutgers.edu (Paul J. Nadolny) (11/13/89)

Hello, I'm looking for a decent, bug-free, public-domain vt52 or vt100
terminal emulator for my C128/64.  I don't have an RGB monitor, so I
need one that does readable 80-column emulation as well.  I need to
run emacs, and I'm using a Hayes-compatible modem at 1200bps.  Is
there such a beast out there somewhere?

If possible, could someone e-mail or post an address where I could get
one?  I'd also be willing to mail a formatted disk to someone to get a
reliable emulator.

I'd really really appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks.

-paul nadolny.
--
---------------------------/------------------------------------------------\
Paul J. Nadolny            |  Wouldn't it be ironic                         |

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (11/14/89)

In article <Nov.12.23.27.56.1989.8505@paul.rutgers.edu> nadolny@paul.rutgers.edu (Paul J. Nadolny) writes:
>Hello, I'm looking for a decent, bug-free, public-domain vt52 or vt100
>terminal emulator for my C128/64.  I don't have an RGB monitor, so I
>need one that does readable 80-column emulation as well.
     I strongly suggest that you make a cable to use the 80 column mode
on your composite monitor (unless you're using a TV; something I didn't
think about at first - if you do, ignore this). All you need to do is take
pins 1 and 7 from your 9-pin 80-column video port and connect them to an
RCA jack (standard composite cable jack) and you're off. I've been doing it
for years. It's a monochrome signal only, but it is very clear.
     This will let you use the faster 80-column software.
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (Kurt Tappe) (11/19/89)

In article <13220@s.ms.uky.edu>, phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) says:

>In article <Nov.12.23.27.56.1989.8505@paul.rutgers.edu>                       u
>nadolny@paul.rutgers.ed
>(Paul J. Nadolny) writes:
>>Hello, I'm looking for a decent, bug-free, public-domain vt52 or vt100
>>terminal emulator for my C128/64.  I don't have an RGB monitor, so I
>>need one that does readable 80-column emulation as well.
>     I strongly suggest that you make a cable to use the 80 column mode
>on your composite monitor (unless you're using a TV...)

I strongly agree.  Why?  Because I've tried to use 40 column terminals
on 80-column systems.  It is a *PAIN* (I know - I did it for over a year.)

The public-domain prog. I recommend is Fred Bowen's VT-100 Emulator v2.1.
It is currently available on both Q-Link and P-Link, or if you are not
a subscriber to those, I am willing to send you a copy.  :-)
How strongly can I recommend it?  Well, I am typing this to you right
now on it - I use it DAILY for connection to PSUVM, with the *only*
problem being that I wish I had a higher baud than 1200!  ;-)

                                                            Kurt