[comp.sys.cbm] PetAscii to Ascii

stjohn@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave St. John) (11/21/89)

I am trying to write a small terminal program to connect my 128 (in 128 mode)
to a Unix machine. I have a copy of Desterm 1.02 but I want the experience
in writing my own terminal program. The problem I have is I can't get the
conversion to true Ascii right. I have the keyboard in lower case and map
the lower case letters to their Ascii equivalent and when I send out across
the modem I send the mapping. This works fine if I run the program without
being connected to the Unix system. Once I am connected I get some of the
characters no longer type in lower case and some only type in lower case.

I don't have access to a Programmer's Guide for the 128 and can't afford one
now, so I was wondering if someone could help me either with the conversion
or on how to create my own character set and put it in place.

Thanks in advance
Dave

UUCP:		{your favorite backbone}!rutgers!sunybcs!oswego!stjohn
INTERNET:	stjohn@oswego.oswego.edu 	(129.3.1.1)

Armadillo: to provide weapons to Spanish pickles

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov21.095017.21329@oswego.Oswego.EDU> stjohn@oswego.oswego.edu.UUCP (Dave St. John) writes:
[ Few deleted lines ]
>in writing my own terminal program. The problem I have is I can't get the
>conversion to true Ascii right. I have the keyboard in lower case and map
>the lower case letters to their Ascii equivalent and when I send out across
>the modem I send the mapping. This works fine if I run the program without
>being connected to the Unix system. Once I am connected I get some of the
>characters no longer type in lower case and some only type in lower case.

What happens is that the Pet Ascii code has 2 sets of uper case
letters.  One is 128+CHR and the other is 32+CHR.  I found that the
best method to deal with conversion is trough a translation table (It
is simpler if you want to customize your keyboard).  The best way to
learn this is by looking at other program sources.  I wrote a C
program that does this conversion, that you can download from my
server (What a cheap comercial) in the power-c volume, as "conv.arc".
I think that would clear things up better.

---
Alex C. Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)