[comp.sys.cbm] Geos Questions

tenbarge@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/17/88)

Anyone out there know if there is any way to run a real time clock to
a 64 that will be recognized by GEOS!  Also, anyone use a Satr NP-10
with GEOS; if you do, what driver do you use?

Thanks for the info!!

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (11/17/89)

I've got two questions concerning Geos:

1) Can anyone give me a recommendation for GeoPublish. I can imagine
	that its not as complete a program as, say Pagemaker, but what
	can it do.

2) My girlfriend has been staring intently at a lightpen. What she's
	hoping is that there is a lightpen driver for Geos available.
	Is there one? Where can I get it.

Cheers-

--
BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4662b

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) (11/17/89)

In article <3552@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
> 2) My girlfriend has been staring intently at a lightpen. What she's
> 	hoping is that there is a lightpen driver for Geos available.
> 	Is there one? Where can I get it.

I wouldn't recommend using a lightpen with your c64. Vertically it's
coordinates are very stable. But horizontal it is practically unusable.
The arrow moves a lot around, which makes drawing with it impossible.
Also you have to make your screen very bright. Not something to look
at for a long period of time.
You're better off buying a mouse. It works much easier and is more
reliable.

scott@max.u.washington.edu (11/18/89)

> From: gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN)
> Date: 17 Nov 89 03:54:03 GMT
>
> I've got two questions concerning Geos:
>
> 1) Can anyone give me a recommendation for GeoPublish. I can imagine
>         that its not as complete a program as, say Pagemaker, but what
>         can it do.

Here is description about GeoPublish as written in an ad:
GeoPublish is a full featured desktop publishing package. GeoPublish
actually does things that some expensive Macintosh programs don't.
Resize text, change fonts, and insert or delete graphics anywhere on
the page. A scaling tool lets you shrink or enlarge you artwork. You
can even place text over graphics (or vice-versa). Letting you
integrate text and graphics from the entire GEOS family of programs
is a key feature of geoPublish. Create great looking documents that
combines text, graphics, tables, charts, etc.

To run GeoPublish you need to have the GEOS operating system,
which is sold separately. The operating system comes in the
GEOS 2.0 package. This package is a great buy in itself
because it come with number of excellent application programs
like GeoWrite, GeoPaint, GeoSpellCheker, TextGrabber, Calculator, etc....and
other assortments of files like 25 or so printer drivers,
number of input drivers, etc... beside the GEOS operating system.

> 2) My girlfriend has been staring intently at a lightpen. What she's
>         hoping is that there is a lightpen driver for Geos available.
>         Is there one? Where can I get it.

Yes, and it comes in the GEOS 2.0 package, and other input drivers
that it comes, beside the lightpen driver, are mouse, joystick,
and koalapad.
In a previous post, some one mentioned that using a lightpen
with GEOS was kind of useless because the pointer that follows
the lightpen is very jerky, especially horizontally. Well, the
cause of this jerkiness might be due to the screen display
and not due to the computer. A lightpen work by reading the raster
tracing of the screen as it refreshes the screen every 1/60th of
a second. When a TV is used as the screen display, since it
has a tunner, the display is prone to interferance from outside
sources, thus preventing a clear display signal from the computer,
which inturn might affect the proper reading of the raster by
the light pen. So perhaps using a Monitor (an 80 columns monitor
would be nice) would solve the problem. And also, cleaning the
screen window before using the lightpen would also be of help.
Remember the light pen is reading the necessary information
from the screen, and a dirty screen clearly will inhibit a
"clean" reading  :) , besides when was the last time you cleaned
your screen.
Oh ya... while you are at it, clean the head of the light pen
too! It might be semi-blind.

> Cheers-
>
> BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) (11/22/89)

In article <10576@max.u.washington.edu|, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
| In a previous post, some one mentioned that using a lightpen
| with GEOS was kind of useless because the pointer that follows
| the lightpen is very jerky, especially horizontally. Well, the
| cause of this jerkiness might be due to the screen display
| and not due to the computer. A lightpen work by reading the raster
| tracing of the screen as it refreshes the screen every 1/60th of
| a second. When a TV is used as the screen display, since it
| has a tunner, the display is prone to interferance from outside
| sources, thus preventing a clear display signal from the computer,
| which inturn might affect the proper reading of the raster by
| the light pen. So perhaps using a Monitor (an 80 columns monitor
| would be nice) would solve the problem.

An 80 colums monitor doesn't solve the problem (I use one). There is
no difference between a monitor and a tv. The jerkiness is the same.

| And also, cleaning the
| screen window before using the lightpen would also be of help.
| Remember the light pen is reading the necessary information
| from the screen, and a dirty screen clearly will inhibit a
| "clean" reading  :) , besides when was the last time you cleaned
| your screen.
| Oh ya... while you are at it, clean the head of the light pen
| too! It might be semi-blind.

Both are clean. The problem isn't one of the things mentioned above.
The VIC chip in the c64 just isn't capable of giving a steady
x-coordinate. Programs written for use with the lightpen always
average the x-coordinate so it is less jerky.

Reg Lobee,
rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl