[comp.sys.cbm] C128-D

lee@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael l) (11/21/89)

    Has anyone else with a C128-D noticed that while using Kermit
with the screen driver set in the 128-80 columns mode that certain
keys will not respond in the terminal mode.  For example the keys
a,d,g do not respond , instead ^A,^D,^G is sometimes printed
( the keys respond correctly if I am using the C64 80-columns
mode).  I'd like to use C128-80 columns since the characters look
better.

    Could it be a problem with my specific computer (I don't
know anyone else with a 128D)?  Or could it be a bug with Kermit
using the 128D environment?

P.S.  Does anyone know how to subscribe to Q-link using a Canadian
	address?

                                   Michael Lee
				   lee@ug.cs.dal.ca

kianusch@unicom.UUCP (sayah karadji) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov20.194237.5236@ug.cs.dal.ca> lee@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael l) writes:

 |     Has anyone else with a C128-D noticed that while using Kermit
 | with the screen driver set in the 128-80 columns mode that certain
 | keys will not respond in the terminal mode.  For example the keys
 | a,d,g do not respond , instead ^A,^D,^G is sometimes printed
 | ( the keys respond correctly if I am using the C64 80-columns
 | mode).  [...]

Try dissconnecting everything from the Joy-stick-ports...
This should solve the problem...

     _      _          _  _   _   _   ___    ___   _   _        ___ \ / ___
    | | __ |_|   /\   | \| | | | | | / __\  / __\ | |_| |      /   \ o /   \
    | |/ / | |  /  \  |    | | |_| | \__ \ | (___ |  _  |     | O O |!| O O |
    |_|\_\ |_| /_/\_\ |_|\_|  \___/  \___/  \___/ |_| |_|      \ +  |!|  + /
                                                               / o / ! \ o \
    kianusch@unicom   (Kianusch Sayah-Karadji)   ksk@well      \__/     \__/

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov20.194237.5236@ug.cs.dal.ca> lee@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael l) writes:

>    Has anyone else with a C128-D noticed that while using Kermit
>with the screen driver set in the 128-80 columns mode that certain
>keys will not respond in the terminal mode.  For example the keys
>a,d,g do not respond , instead ^A,^D,^G is sometimes printed
>( the keys respond correctly if I am using the C64 80-columns
>mode).  I'd like to use C128-80 columns since the characters look
>better.
>
>    Could it be a problem with my specific computer (I don't
>know anyone else with a 128D)?  Or could it be a bug with Kermit
>using the 128D environment?

As far as Ray and I have been able to determine, this is *not* a bug in
Kermit.  Kermit has been tested on a wide variety of C-128s and C-128Ds
(I have a C-128D myself).

Rather, the behavior you describe seems to occur only when a 1351 mouse
is plugged in.  Solution: unplug the mouse.  It seems that the micro-
processor inside the mouse is continually spewing out data, and this
confuses the custom keyboard scan routine in Kermit.

Please contact either Ray (ray@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu) or me if
this does not solve the problems you are having.

Kent Sullivan (author of the Kermit v2.1/2.2 manual)
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

lee@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael l) (11/25/89)

In article <9147@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
>In article <1989Nov20.194237.5236@ug.cs.dal.ca> lee@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael l) writes:
>>

>>    Has anyone else with a C128-D noticed that while using Kermit
>>with the screen driver set in the 128-80 columns mode that certain
>>keys will not respond in the terminal mode.  For example the keys
>>a,d,g do not respond , instead ^A,^D,^G is sometimes printed
>>( the keys respond correctly if I am using the C64 80-columns
>>mode).  I'd like to use C128-80 columns since the characters look
>>better.
>>using the 128D environment?
>
>As far as Ray and I have been able to determine, this is *not* a bug in
>Kermit.  Kermit has been tested on a wide variety of C-128s and C-128Ds
>(I have a C-128D myself).
>
>Rather, the behavior you describe seems to occur only when a 1351 mouse
>is plugged in.  Solution: unplug the mouse........

  After downloading another copy of Kermit sent to me, I found out
 that the same problems occured.  Desperate I unplugged everything
 but the essentials (removed Fast Load catridge, printer, joysticks,
 etc.) and IT WORKED PROPERLY :-)

  Determined to find out what the culprit device was I plugged
 everyting in one at a time and discovered that it was the
 joysticks causing all of the problems.  (Hmmmm.... seem to
 remember I have to unplug the keyboard in order to play
 GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT)

 Thanks for the info Guys ......

Signed, (a now happy Kermit user)

Michael Lee (lee@ug.cs.dal.ca)