[comp.sys.cbm] VIC 1525 Printer pinout

kenner@guardian.UUCP (Ken Reese) (11/21/89)

I happened to acquire a VIC 1525 printer with absolutely no documentation.
It appears to be a type of serial printer but I'm only guessing.  If
anyone has any information on this beast (pinout, handshaking, etc), would
you be so kind as to share it with me.  I would like to use it as a general
printer (not necessarily running on a commodore machine).

                                            Ken Reese
                                            kenner@guardian.hf.intel.com

Ken Reese, Intel Corp. 5200 NE Elam Young Pky  Hillsboro, OR  97124
Internet: kenner@guardian.hf.intel.com

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/22/89)

In article <303@guardian.UUCP>, kenner@guardian.UUCP (Ken Reese) writes:
> I happened to acquire a VIC 1525 printer with absolutely no documentation.
> It appears to be a type of serial printer but I'm only guessing.  If
> anyone has any information on this beast (pinout, handshaking, etc), would
> you be so kind as to share it with me.  I would like to use it as a general
> printer (not necessarily running on a commodore machine).
>
>                                             Ken Reese
>                                             kenner@guardian.hf.intel.com
>
> --
> Ken Reese, Intel Corp. 5200 NE Elam Young Pky  Hillsboro, OR  97124
> Internet: kenner@guardian.hf.intel.com

Fergit it.  Unless you want to hook it up to a VIC or A C-64 or 128, good luck.
What it is is a serial version of the GPIB buss used on the CBM's.  One can
get a book on the c-64 like "inside the c-64" and findout how the interface
works.  You will then have to write a driver to emulate the serial interface
and command set.  On a side note, does anyone have a copy of the manual for
WORDPRO 4+ for the OLD CBM 8032/8050 combination.  I recently purchased
one of the dear old beasts, because I have lots of neat software for it.
Trouble is, I don't remember anything about some of the software.  I spent
many hours working with the things from 1980-1983 when I worked for a
CBM dealer, (I did all the trouble-shooting, installing, applications stuff
and some sales work.)  I finaly grabbed a 8032/8050 drive this year (for
$130.00 by the time I got the drive fixed).  Boy, does it bring back memories..

Cheers

Woody Baker
(512) 837-8317
P.S. I have quite a bit of software in 8050 format.....

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (11/28/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <303@guardian.UUCP>, kenner@guardian.UUCP (Ken Reese) wrote:
>I happened to acquire a VIC 1525 printer with absolutely no documentation.
>It appears to be a type of serial printer but I'm only guessing.  If
>anyone has any information on this beast (pinout, handshaking, etc), would
>you be so kind as to share it with me.  I would like to use it as a general
>printer (not necessarily running on a commodore machine).

It IS a serial printer, but uses Commodore's propietary multiple device
serial bus architecture (offshoot of the IEEE-488 standard).  Unless you
have a Commodore computer to act as an intermediate host, you would probably
be better off forgetting it.

The 1525 also lacks some ASCII characters (and instead has the Commodore
equivalents).  A driver written on an intermediate host could solve this
problem as well.

I once did something like this with a different Commodore-specific printer
and a VIC.

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

In comp.sys.cbm article <17346@rpp386.cactus.org>, woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) wrote:
]On a side note, does anyone have a copy of the manual for
]WORDPRO 4+ for the OLD CBM 8032/8050 combination.  I recently purchased
]one of the dear old beasts, because I have lots of neat software for it.
]Trouble is, I don't remember anything about some of the software.  I spent
]many hours working with the things from 1980-1983 when I worked for a
]CBM dealer, (I did all the trouble-shooting, installing, applications stuff
]and some sales work.)  I finaly grabbed a 8032/8050 drive this year (for
]$130.00 by the time I got the drive fixed).  Boy, does it bring back memories..
]
]P.S. I have quite a bit of software in 8050 format.....

I have a WordPro manual but really don't recall which version.  It's been
some time since I've used a word processor on my SuperPET.

What kind of software do you have?