[comp.sys.cbm] Mice

GAJ103@PSUVM.BITNET (11/28/89)

Who makes the best mouse for the Commodore 64?  The only two that I
know of are the Commodore 1351 and a 1351 substitute known as the
Mouse M3.  I would like to buy a mouse for my C=64 to use with GEOS
and CAD programs, but I can't find any reviews of these two mice
in any of the Commodore magazines.

Any suggestions/comments?

Gordon Jenness             [ What is the numerical relationship between ]
Penn State University      [ Halloween and Christmas?                   ]
GAJ103@PSUVM.BITNET        [ OCT 31 = DEC 25                            ]

dyson@ostrich.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (11/29/89)

In article <89331.232019GAJ103@PSUVM.BITNET> GAJ103@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>...I would like to buy a mouse for my C=64 to use with GEOS
>and CAD programs, but I can't find any reviews of these two mice
>in any of the Commodore magazines.

I can't speak for the M3 mouse, never having seen it.  I can, however,
whole-heartedly indorse the 1351, especially with GEOS.  I spent years using
an old Atari trackball, which now gathers dust.  The 1351 is inexpensive (I
paid $33.00 for mine) and reliable (so long as you keep the ball clean).  IMHO
the M3 represents an unknown quantity, so I'd go with the 'brand-name' mouse
in this case.  Anybody else?

Peace
-Mark-

js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) (12/02/89)

I owned the 1531 mouse. I have also used mac, atari, DEC, sun, ibm, microsoft,
logitech, etc. etc. mice so I have some idea of what a good feel to a mouse
is, and I must say that the '31 impressed me. It was really a very good mouse.
The only problem I had was that there wasn't enough software to support it.
I don't use geos that much (I don't use my 64 that much), so I didn't have
much call for it.

The mouse works in either proportional or joystick mode.
If you can afford it, go for it; you won't regret it (I think).

-Jon / js9b.
PS: It isn't too bad to program for, especially if you know mcode. I was
working on a small mcode drawing program for the 64 using the mouse. Really
nice!

GAJ103%PSUVM.BITNET@vma.cc.cmu.edu (12/03/89)

Does the 1351 mouse come with any software?  I hav seen many IBM
compatible mice that come with mouse driver software and some kind of
drawing program.  I would like to know, because I want to get a good
graphics/CAD software when I order the mouse, so I don't want to get
more drawing software than I need.

Thanks!