[comp.sys.cbm] Where can I get 64k VDC RAM chips?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (12/06/89)

The subject sez it all, but I'll repeat it: Where can I get 64k VDC
RAM chips?  I have a C128 with upgrade ROMs, and a 1571 with upgrade
ROMs, but I really would like to have that fantabulous graphics
capability so the Amiga owners won't laugh at me!  (Well, not as
*much*.)  Can these chips be bought at the corner Radio Shack, or must
they be ordered through some more official source?  And what's the
exact part number of the chips?

And, while I think of it, can they be directly plugged in where the
old 16k RAM chips will have used to have been (!) located, or is there
any additional wiring involved?

Thanks for any info!
     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

scott@max.u.washington.edu (12/07/89)

In article <11970@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> The subject sez it all, but I'll repeat it: Where can I get 64k VDC
> RAM chips?  I have a C128 with upgrade ROMs, and a 1571 with upgrade
> ROMs, but I really would like to have that fantabulous graphics
> capability so the Amiga owners won't laugh at me!  (Well, not as
> *much*.)  Can these chips be bought at the corner Radio Shack, or must
> they be ordered through some more official source?  And what's the
> exact part number of the chips?

You can buy them from mail order companies (and also you might want to
check you local commodore dealers and repair centers).
Software Support is one place you can buy the 64k VDC RAM upgrade.
Theirs is in a form that doesn't require any soldering, according
to the ad it just simply plugs in to the mother board of your C-128, thus
avoiding possible splattered solder, heat damage.
Because of this, I guess theirs cost a little bit more.

Their telephone number is:
Software Support
1-800-356-1179 (to order)
(206)695-9648 (technical support)