[comp.sys.cbm] EMACS on a Commodore?

podop08@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (podop08) (12/15/89)

All-
     I have heard many rumors about a version of Emacs for the Comoodore
64.  Can anyone substantiate
this rumor?  And, more importantly, can I get a copy for the C-128?

Thanks,
Gregg

--------

Gregg William Riedel
State University of New York at Binghamton - Computer Center
Student Operator

PODOP08@BINGVAXA               PODOP08@BINGVAXU                PODOP08@BINGSUNS

"There are few personal problems that can't be solved by a suitable
application
                             of high explosives."

--------

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joseph E Greco) (12/21/89)

In article <2743@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> podop08@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (podop08) writes:
>     I have heard many rumors about a version of Emacs for the Comoodore
>64.  Can anyone substantiate
>this rumor?  And, more importantly, can I get a copy for the C-128?

This is highly unlikely... even a partial implementation would be extremely
slow, and more importantly would be extremely large.  EMACS on this system
is only 585K in size (external files excluded).

It would be nice....  :-)
--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (12/21/89)

In article <1588@uwm.edu> jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joseph E Greco) writes:
>In article <2743@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> podop08@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (podop08) writes:
>>     I have heard many rumors about a version of Emacs for the Comoodore
>>64.  Can anyone substantiate
>This is highly unlikely... even a partial implementation would be extremely
>slow, and more importantly would be extremely large.  EMACS on this system
>is only 585K in size (external files excluded).

Funny, here at U$C, Emacs is only 1155072 Bytes.  (excluding external
goodies, though)
Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu%skat@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!edu

anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (12/22/89)

I remember asking this one a while back myself.... but the question should be
considered a bit more carefully;  You would have to be crazy to believe any
version of GNU Emacs would fit in the 64, but there are many Micro Emacs's out
there which could serve as a goal - or even as a source, since they are written
in C, for a C64 Micro Emacs....

Actually I was pointed to an editor I own, the editor that comes with Power C;
while not an editor with Macros (EMACs = Editor with MACros), it has named
buffers, cut & paste directory access, syntax checking... Maybe someone
could add macros to this?

I have occassionally toyed with the idea of using BlazinForth to write an
Emacs, with forth as the macro language, and buffers as the file form....
but my own native sloth has prevented such a development... any takers?

"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  joel.anderson@StPaul.NCR.COM   |UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!jpa
     Joel Peter Anderson         |ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jpa@nosc.mil
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |INET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com  QLINK: JPA

in article <1588@uwm.edu>, jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joseph E Greco) says:

> In article <2743@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> podop08@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (podop08) writes:
>>     I have heard many rumors about a version of Emacs for the Comoodore
>>64.  Can anyone substantiate
>>this rumor?  And, more importantly, can I get a copy for the C-128?

> This is highly unlikely... even a partial implementation would be extremely
> slow, and more importantly would be extremely large.  EMACS on this system
> is only 585K in size (external files excluded).

Emacs doesn't necessarily mean GNU Emacs or Gosling's Emacs.  The version of micro
Emacs (MG) I use on my Amiga here is only 92k or so.  Still a tad too large for a
C128, much less a C64.  Though certainly, if you wanted to go the trouble of
rewriting the C code in assembler, a basic Emacs could be built for either machine.
It's not going run E-Lisp or let you run news or a shell in an Emacs window, but
it could have a good Emacsish feel to it.  I had considered porting a micro emacs
(a very old and smaller one) to the C128 way back when, but there was no C compiler
at the time, and I wasn't interested in mucking with assembler.  So I bought an
Amiga...

> jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

in article <1791@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) says:
> [...] while not an editor with Macros (EMACs = Editor with MACros) [...]

Actually, the emacs name come from Editor MACros, or some such.  The original
Emacs was basically a collection of editing macros for TECO, which itself was
a rather silly text editor that grew over the years into a rather silly
programming language.  The first version of Emacs I used was a version, in
TECO, supposedly derived from the Richard Stallman original from MIT (this
was at CMU in 1979).  While you never had to leave Emacs proper, you could
pop up a TECO buffer at any time and program/edit to your heart's content
directly in TECO.  Of course, lots of folks liked having that TECO around
for writing macros, so when it came actually implementing Emacs in a real
language like C, some programming language or another was usually implemented
as well.  The other popular Emacs at CMU at the time was James Gosling's
version, which ran on PDP-11s instead of DEC-20s and had a lisp-ish macro
language called Mock-Lisp, or M-Lisp for short.  Not as powerful as GNU's
E-Lisp, but pretty nice as compared to TECO.

The original MicroEmacs program didn't have any macro capability, but it
did handle the simple editing command set (no M-X capabilities) and seemed
to me to more along the lines of TECO or Gosling's rather than GNU as
far as the command set it knows.  This has split in several directions;
The current MicroEmacs (V3.10 or so), MG (formerly MicroGNU, so-called because
it attempted to use more GNU than Gosling's commands), the MEmacs that
comes on the Amiga's Extras disk, and probably many others all trace back
to the original C language MicroEmacs.  The latest V3.10 has a kinda Forth-ish
macro language.  MG and MEmacs don't have a language, but they do handle
keyboard macros (eg, they remember a sequence of Emacs commands to let
you build quick macros).  MG does allow key rebinding, it has very nice
menu, window, and mouse support on the Amiga, and there's even a version
as part of AmigaTeK that uses AREXX as it's macro language.  MEmacs is much
simpler, but it's been hacked on considerably by the Amiga folk here to
make it small and fast.

> I have occassionally toyed with the idea of using BlazinForth to write an
> Emacs, with forth as the macro language, and buffers as the file form....
> but my own native sloth has prevented such a development... any takers?

That'd be pretty interesting; more like the TECO version in philosophy.