[comp.sys.cbm] modem 1200 aka 1670

moore@canisius.UUCP (Scott Stephen Moore) (12/27/89)

   First of all, please forgive me for whatever condition this
is in when it reaches the net, I'm using my home terminal, which for reasons
I'll discuss below isn't working right.
I just got a brand new modem 1200 and can't get the thing working.
I've tried it with all dips up, all dips down, and everything down
except the speed indicate enable.
I'm using the vt52 emulator (I don't have 80 cols for the vt100).
When I try to dial, I hear the dial tone over the modem, I can hear the thing
dialing (tone), but then the dial tone continues until the operator comes on;
it just ignores the number it was supposed to dial for some bizzare reason.
Any suggestions ?
Also, what can I do with this Auto Answer Enable switch ?
Can I leave this thing on all the time (UP) ? Or does it work like an
Originate/Answer switch on the old models, with UP (enable)
being the same as Answer and DOWN (Suppressed) the same as Originate ???
Thanks for your help commodore buffs !
All the best,
-Scott

slangner@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Stickster) (12/28/89)

   I have one of the older 1670 modems, so I don't know all of the
new stuff on the current ones.  However, looking at the owner's
manual for my current one, the DIP switch settings are UP DOWN DOWN
(#1 #2 #3).  Maybe that'll help.  Hope it does.  Otherwise I'm lost.
| Steve Langner-Stickster-Commodore SIGOp |  rutgers!sharkey!clmqt!slangner  |
| Enterprise Info. System, Mqt. MI, USA, Terra, Sol |  slangner@clmqt.UUCP   |
=================> "It's dead Jim, but not as we know it." <==================

moore@canisius.UUCP (Scott Stephen Moore) (12/29/89)

In article <2637@canisius.UUCP>, moore@canisius.UUCP (Scott Stephen Moore) writes:

> I just got a brand new modem 1200 and can't get the thing working.
Well, I solved one problem.  I got it so I can call out, but I'm not having
very good luck setting up my BBS progs.  I've been trying 6485 v3.3, CMBBS, and
Ribit v7.7f.  I can't get any of them
working.  CMBBS just aborts and the
other two wont let me enter anything from the sysops menu.  It looks like the
program is just feeding itself carriage returns, when I go to enter the time/
date/whatever, no characters appear on the screen, but the prompt keeps coming
back up.  Any suggestions ?
Thanks alot !
-Scott

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/29/89)

writes:

> When I try to dial, I hear the dial tone over the modem, I can hear the thing
> dialing (tone), but then the dial tone continues until the operator comes on;
> it just ignores the number it was supposed to dial for some bizzare reason.

Any chance the switch serving your premises is set for pulse-dial-detection
only?  If not (if you have a "TouchTone line"), welcome to the sad fact that
modem quality control seems to have vanished with last summer (three out of
three have struck out with me, brand new, right out of the box, all for
different reasons, in the past two months!).
		                                    -- Fred

Fred E.J. Linton  Wesleyan U. Math. Dept.  649 Sci. Tower  Middletown, CT 06457

ARPA/Internet:  FLINTON@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU           (preferred)
Bitnet:         FLINTON@WESLEYAN[.bitnet]     (also works)
Tel.:           + 1 203 776 2210 (home)  OR  + 1 203 347 9411 x2249 (work)

mike@ac.dal.ca (12/29/89)

 Well, the auto answer switch, (if your modem is working right, which it
doesn't sound like it is) will indeed, like all Hayes modems, answer the
phone line, depending on the S0 register, which indicates the number of
rings to answer on. ATS0=1 would answer on the first ring. ATS0=255 would
answer on the 255th ring. ATS0=0 would not answer.. So the DIP switch is
just a hardware switch for that Hayes register. It has nothing to do with
the answer/originate.
 I don't know why the modem is not dialing. The only reason I could think
of is that it just is not working. You you using the direct Hayes
command? ATDT 1234567?