[net.wanted] South Dakota points of interest

brianb@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Batson) (06/04/84)

 I'm looking for and will appreciate information on areas of interest
in the southwestern corner of South Dakota, near the Black Hills. I'll
be passing through for 2 nights/1 day and want to catch some good spots.
I prefer natural beauty to man-made and will definitely want to stay
in a campground for the 2 nights. Any recommendations? There seems to
be a multitude of sights and experiences just waiting ...  thanks

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (06/05/84)

Well, outside of Mt. Rushmore, of course, you just have to go see
the ...hmm, crazy horse monument? You will know it when you get to the
area. To me it is the most monumental rip-off of nature of all time.
There is this old man and his family who are systematically reducing a
beautiful mountain to rubble in the name of making a monument to the
indians. It is paid for by the contributions of visitors. Every once
in a while they go out and blow up some more mountain. At the visitor
center there are models that make you sort of want to puke. Part of
the monument is to be a gigantic tablet with a poem inscribed on it
in xx ft high letters (readable from mars on a clear day, no doubt).
When you read this immortal verse you probably will puke. After
that you realize that this project couldn't be pulled off by these
folks in 10 generations and you are glad they are just ripping off
a living from the people. The rubble pile will look infinitely better
than the statue they are trying to create. Just musn't miss it.
Also highly recommended: graves of Buffalo Bill and Calamity Jane
in Deadwood. Denuded hills around deadwood are interesting.
Slightly further west don't miss ...hmm Devil's something or other
national monument near Sundance in Wyoming. Its very interesting
geologically, has neat groundhogs, is the first national monument,
and you will recognize it as the landing place of the saucer in
Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  hound!rfg

sct@lanl-a.UUCP (06/08/84)

>    .. Also highly recommended: graves of Calamity Jane and Buffalo
>       Bill in Deadwood.

  Sorry to object but having grown up in Denver I can truthfully state
that Buffalo Bill is buried on Lookout Mountain near Denver and not in
Deadwood SD.  Could you mean Wild Bill Hickock instead?

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (06/12/84)

> From: sct@lanl-a.UUCP
>   Sorry to object but having grown up in Denver I can truthfully state
> that Buffalo Bill is buried on Lookout Mountain near Denver and not in
> Deadwood SD.  Could you mean Wild Bill Hickock instead?

Perhaps the grave near Denver is that of Buffalo Bill at an earlier age? :-)
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb