[comp.sys.cbm] CMD/SCSI Drives

doug@gemed (Doug Curtis x4-6826) (02/06/90)

Has anyone seen a review of the CMD Hard Drives, or
better yet does anyone actually have one. The price $599
(20Mb), doesn't sound to bad, compared to other C64/C128
hard drives, and the advertised SCSI compatability sounds
great. My only other question would be; can I still use
my REU with the hard drive installed? (The advertisment
mentions something about a RAMLink that is supposed to
speed up the drive.)

Doug Curtis
GE Medical Systems
UUCP: {sun!sunbrew|crdgw1}!gemed!altair_4!doug

jharris@ic.sunysb.edu (James ERWIN Harrison) (02/06/90)

I have not yet seen a true review of the CMD / SCSI hard drives, however the
26th issue of Twin Cities 128 had an interview with employees of CMD.  This
includes information about the SCSI hard drive and the RamLink, which will
allow you to use your 17xx RAM expansion, the RamLink will also provide power
to your 1xx when the computer is turned off and will be expandable in incre-
ments of 256K!

Send $2.50 for a copy of issue 26 to:
     Twin Cites 128, PO Box 11578, Minneapolis, MN 55411

bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin) (02/06/90)

In article <2005@mrsvr.UUCP> doug@gemed.ge.com (Doug Curtis x4-6826) writes:
>Has anyone seen a review of the CMD Hard Drives, or
>better yet does anyone actually have one. The price $599
>(20Mb), doesn't sound to bad, compared to other C64/C128
>hard drives, and the advertised SCSI compatability sounds
>great. My only other question would be; can I still use
>my REU with the hard drive installed?

I have an REU, a 1581, and an internal 1571. Would it be possible
to use a drive with GEOS under this setup? If a drive had to
be sacrificed, would it be possible to disable the 1571?
Do these drives have folder support under GEOS (in other
words, little icons on the desktop to open subdirectories) or
would each partition have to be assigned a different drive number?
Is it possible to have a GEOS application load path, so that,
for example, you don't have to put a copy of GeoWrite in every
subdirectory where you want to edit Write documents?
If so, can you change folders from within GeoWrite? Is there
a system folder for fonts and DA's? Since there are many more
fonts and DA's than will fit in a menu, can they be grouped into
"suitcases"?
Finally, is there a SCSI interface out there which will allow use
of optical drives, tape backups, large-capacity hard drives, etc.
with GEOS?

Thanks,
Ben Wildasin

Ben Wildasin                                      bwildasi@ucs.indiana.edu

dan.copeland@canremote.uucp (DAN COPELAND) (02/09/90)

>From: bwildasi@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Ben Wildasin)
>Orga: Indiana University, Bloomington

In article <2005@mrsvr.UUCP> doug@gemed.ge.com (Doug Curtis x4-6826)
writes: >Has anyone seen a review of the CMD Hard Drives, or
>>better yet does anyone actually have one. The price $599
>>(20Mb), doesn't sound to bad, compared to other C64/C128
>>hard drives, and the advertised SCSI compatability sounds
>>great. My only other question would be; can I still use
>>my REU with the hard drive installed?
>
>I have an REU, a 1581, and an internal 1571. Would it be possible
>to use a drive with GEOS under this setup? If a drive had to
>be sacrificed, would it be possible to disable the 1571?
>Do these drives have folder support under GEOS (in other
>words, little icons on the desktop to open subdirectories) or
>Finally, is there a SCSI interface out there which will allow use
>of optical drives, tape backups, large-capacity hard drives, etc.
>with GEOS?
[A[A[A[B[B[B[B
yyes vddto all of the foregoing
I have seen the CMD in actual operation and you can swap drives 8 or
drive 9... Yes you can use your ram expander with the drive installed.
Berkely is coming out with or has come out with a special driver for the
cmd drive..  16M for a geos partition.... why would you want more
partitions?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

david.johnson@canremote.uucp (David Johnson) (02/14/90)

To: utcsri!psuvm.psu.edu!TRL3

You are looking for an address for CMD (Creative Micro Design's aka
makers of JiffyDos)
Creative Micro Designs, Inc.
50 Industrial Drive
P.O. Box 646,
East LongMeadow, MA 01028
Phone: 413-525-0023 FAX: 413-525-0147

The pricing is as follows HD20 - $600, HD40 - $800, HD100 $1300

Four modes of operation: 1541/1571/1581 emulation and native mode with
up to 16Mb partitions.  built in GEOS and CP/M compatiblitity.  Serial
Bus interface - standard serial as well as fast serial and JiffyDos
protocols.  Built in Real time clock.

GEOS is a trademark of Berkely Softworks
CP/M is a trademark of Digital Research

I saw them in operation at the Toronto World of Commodore Show and was
very much impressed.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1
 ~ QNet 2.02: Track 36 BBS System The Commodore Support Group