[comp.sys.cbm] Kermit v2.2 problems

kajihara@mcnc.org (Lord of Sith) (02/08/90)

I have downloaded kermit v2.2 again from Q-link and can get it to work with the
C-64 80 column screen.  However, because I have an 80 column monitor and a
C-128D computer, I would like to use the C-128 screen driver.  My problem is
that in connect mode, characters like 'A' and 'D' are not echoed to the screen.
This is a system with nothing connected via the joystick ports.  Previous
replies to an earlier post suggested that this was a local echo problem; this
is not the case as echo is on.  Any help would be appreciated.

     Thanks,

     Scott Kajihara

--
     Scott Akira Kajihara
mcnc!kajihara  kajihara@mcnc.org  mcnc!pyvax!kajihara  mcnc!pymvjb!kajihara

consp24@bingsunl.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) (02/08/90)

>I have downloaded kermit v2.2 again from Q-link and can get it to work
with the
>C-64 80 column screen.  However, because I have an 80 column monitor and a
>C-128D computer, I would like to use the C-128 screen driver.  My problem is
>that in connect mode, characters like 'A' and 'D' are not echoed to the
screen.
>This is a system with nothing connected via the joystick ports.  Previous
>replies to an earlier post suggested that this was a local echo problem; this
>is not the case as echo is on.  Any help would be appreciated.

I, too, have this problem with my C-128D.  And nothing is plugged in to any
ports.  A, D, G, and a few other characters come up as ^A, ^D, ^G etc.
This is a very frustrating problem (esp. with ^At^Dt number!)

Gregg W. Riedel     CONSP24 @ BINGVAXA, BINGVAXU, BINGSUNS
Student Consultant - State Univ. of New York at Binghamton
"There are few personal problems that can't be solved by a
suitable application of high explosives."

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (02/09/90)

In article <1624@speedy.mcnc.org> kajihara@mcnc.org (Lord of Sith) writes:
>I have downloaded kermit v2.2 from Q-link and can get it to work with the
>C-64 80 column screen.  However, because I have an 80 column monitor and a
>C-128D computer, I would like to use the C-128 screen driver.  My problem is
>that in connect mode characters like 'A' and 'D' are not echoed to the screen.
>This is a system with nothing connected via the joystick ports.  Previous
>replies to an earlier post suggested that this was a local echo problem; this
>is not the case as echo is on.  Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect it's a problem with Kermit's keyscan.  A quick check on my logic
analyzer showed what appeared to be two competeing keyscans occurring, one
being the C64 kernel's and the other a RAM-based routine, presumably Kermit's
C128 driver.  Why it appears to affect only key row 2 (A,D,G...) I don't know.

If I can get the source code from Ray or Kent (and I have time :-)  I'll
look into it further.
--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@uunet.uu.net

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

photon@max.u.washington.edu (02/10/90)

In article <9626@cbmvax.commodore.com>, fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) writes:

> I suspect it's a problem with Kermit's keyscan.  A quick check on my logic
> analyzer showed what appeared to be two competeing keyscans occurring, one
> being the C64 kernel's and the other a RAM-based routine, presumably Kermit's
> C128 driver.  Why it appears to affect only key row 2 (A,D,G...) I don't know.
>
> If I can get the source code from Ray or Kent (and I have time :-)  I'll
> look into it further.
> --
> Fred Bowen                    uucp:   {uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred

The source code for Kermit is already available, and you can get it
from UX-Maze mail server.......but I got to warn you it is a long
one. The source code also includes a history-log of all the people that
have made this program possible upto the latest version, 2.2.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (02/14/90)

In article <2939@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp24@bingsunl.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) writes:
>>I have downloaded kermit v2.2 again from Q-link and can get it to work
>>with the C-64 80 column screen.  However, because I have an 80 column
>>monitor and a C-128D computer, I would like to use the C-128 screen driver.
>>My problem is that in connect mode, characters like 'A' and 'D' are not
>>echoed to the screen.
>>This is a system with nothing connected via the joystick ports.  Previous
>>replies to an earlier post suggested that this was a local echo problem; this
>>is not the case as echo is on.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>I, too, have this problem with my C-128D.  And nothing is plugged in to any
>ports.  A, D, G, and a few other characters come up as ^A, ^D, ^G etc.
>This is a very frustrating problem (esp. with ^At^Dt number!)

Hi guys-- (and whomever else may be having this problem)

I am the author of the C-64/128 Kermit v2.2 manual and have been involved in
its development and testing from the beginning.  I have *never* seen this
problem except when something was plugged into one of the joystick ports,
and I use a C-128D regularly with Kermit v2.2 (like now!).  Kermit has been
tested and used on a wide variety of C-64/128 configurations, and all have
behaved as expected...

Are you SURE nothing is funky about your setups?  What kind of modems are
you each using?  I use a Supra 2400 now, but used to use a CBM 1670.

Send me mail if you would like to discuss this further.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.