[comp.sys.cbm] How to FTP and TELNET from home

BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Broderick S. Jolley) (02/14/90)

Okay, I know this has probrably been addressed hundreds of thousands of times,
but please, humor me. How do you link to the FTP sites that you list from a
computer at home? I would like to look at some of the things they have, but I
don't know how to get there. Also, does it cost  money and if so, how much? I
have never called a BBS, so please, bear with me. One more thing. Could someone
please send me a listing of BBS's and FTP sites? Thanx for your time and help.
                                                     -- Sandman

JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu (02/15/90)

   YOu're apparently from Penn State.   Which campus?   I only have local
BBS directories for the Harrisburg and Scranton areas.   IF you want more
information about Telenet, call 1-800-Telenet and ask for information.   I'm
sure they have some kind of brochure that they could send to you.
   Hope I can help you.
         John L. Berger >>> Penn State: Harrisburg

scott@max.u.washington.edu (02/15/90)

In article <90045.004228BSJ100@PSUVM.BITNET>, BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Broderick S. Jolley) writes:
> How do you link to the FTP sites that you list from a
> computer at home?

I am not clear exactly what your are asking. But if you are asking how to
access an FTP site from home and then able to download/upload a file
from/to the FTP site........here is how:

You can access an FTP site through a host-computer that is connected to the
network that supports FTP. This host-computer is usually a main-fram system
of your university or work-place that you have access to, as a student,
faculty or employee.
You can access the host-computer from home with your personal computer, like
with your C64, through the use of the modem (of course this is assuming that
the host-computer allows dial-in access...most of them do).
But you must remember this. Your C64 itself that you are using to access the
host-computer is not directly connected to the network. The host-computer
is. And FTP is a fast FileTransferProtocol transfering system for computers
directly connect to the network; hence, once you download (get) a file
from an FTP site it will be downloaded to the host-computer and not
directly to the C64.
Therefore, downloading a file from an FTP site to your C64 is a two
step process. First you need to download the desire file from the
FTP site to the host-computer using FTP, and then from the host-computer
to your C64 using Xmodem or Kermit.

I hope this answers your question....

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen