[comp.sys.cbm] Using your TV as a 80-column monitor

BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Broderick S. Jolley) (02/16/90)

I have heard from friends that it is possible to use your television set as a
80-column monitor. Is that true? If so, how? He said he wasn't sure, but it had
something to do with the cable that connects to the back of the television.
Please, I would really like to do this. I would like to try 80 columns. Thanx.
                                            -- Sandman

scott@max.u.washington.edu (02/16/90)

In article <90046.232212BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu>, BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Broderick S. Jolley) writes:
> I have heard from friends that it is possible to use your television set as a
> 80-column monitor. Is that true? If so, how? He said he wasn't sure, but it had
> something to do with the cable that connects to the back of the television.
> Please, I would really like to do this. I would like to try 80 columns. Thanx.
>                                             -- Sandman

There are televisions that comes with dual function. They can be used
as a normal TV or they can be used as an RGB monitor. Usually there is
a switch on the TV-monitor to switch between the two modes and also proper
ports for monitor connection.
These TVs may offer a higher resolution than normal TV, 640x200 or
640x400 resolution which are the resolutions of an 80 columns monitor.

With normal TVs however, you get the usual 320x200 pixel resolution,
which is the resolution comparable to a 40 columns monitor.

(To my knowledge)
The maximum pixel resolution attainable with a monitor or TV is a physical
characterisic of that devices.....they were built with so much
pixels that they were meant to display. Therefore to increase the resolution
will mean the actual replacement of the video tube.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (02/17/90)

In article <90046.232212BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu>, BSJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Broderick S. Jolley) writes:
> I have heard from friends that it is possible to use your television set as a
> 80-column monitor. Is that true? If so, how? He said he wasn't sure, but it had

There is a way to hook a normal TV up to a commodore 128 in 80 col mode.

First of all, you need to buy a RF modulator from some place like Radio Shack (
they usually run for around 25 bucks).

Then you need to connect a cable with a RCA jack at one end to the ground and
monochrome pins on your commodore 128's RGBI connector.  You plug the RCA jack
into the RF mod, and connect the RF out on the modulator to your TV, just like
a normal antenna or VCR.  Depending on the quality of your TV, the 80 col text
can look pretty good.  I had a 12" panasonic tv that it looked pretty good on,
but not as good as the Magnavox 80 col that I'm using now.  Also, all you will
get color wise is black, white, and shades of grey, but it's looks better with
Geos 128 in the 80 col mode with a TV than it does in the 40 col mode with a TV.

Sean Burke.
Cat-Talk Conferencing system, PRYS BBS (216) 564-7797 a.k.a.  Whiz Kid

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -