[comp.sys.cbm] cbterm and vi

tim@lenti (02/24/90)

Has anyone had any experience with using cbterm and (UNIX) vi editor.
I like the screen and other features of cbterm but I am having
no luck at all getting vi to work.  The cursor commands produce
wild results that reprint lines, refuse to move in any direction
and generally make life miserable.  The weird thing is that the
same cursor keys(HJK&L) work fine in Nethack.

Is the problem in the termcap for vt52 (cbterm) or is cbterm just
not compatable with vi?

Any help is appreciated.

Tim Leonard    tim@lenti.med.umn.edu

brucec@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Bruce R Carlson) (02/24/90)

Are you remembering to "ESCAPE" prior to using your cursor keys ??

You may also  need to hit a colon (:) after escaping to invoke other
editor commands such as move, print, delete etc.

	   /-)  /-)  / /  ---  /--
          /-<  /-<  / /  /    /--
         /-/  / (  ---  ---  /--

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (02/25/90)

I suggest you go to ex. I'm using Novaterm 8.1 that emulates ANSI, vt100 and a couple other terms. I was never able to get vi to function properly. The ex program owrks fine in ANSI however.
--
---
"What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?"

purdon@athena.mit.edu (James R Purdon) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.201134.28559@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> tim@lenti () writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with using cbterm and (UNIX) vi editor.
>I like the screen and other features of cbterm but I am having
>no luck at all getting vi to work.  The cursor commands produce
>wild results that reprint lines, refuse to move in any direction
>and generally make life miserable.  The weird thing is that the

In your home directory on the unix box, try the following:

echo "set notimeout" >.exrc

I don't know if this will work for you, but it's solved many a problem
with using vi over networks and phone lines for me.  You may also wish
to try:

stty extb (your_baud_rate_goes_here)

have fun...

Jim