[comp.sys.cbm] GEORAM 512 questions

rschofie@pewter.ucs.indiana.edu (02/22/90)

Has anyone seen the new GEOS REU called GEORAM 512 (I believe)? If so, can
it be used for other things besides GEOS? 512K is more memory than the
Commodore brand REU isn't it?
                                          Robert Schofield

	{pur-ee,ihnp4!inuxc,rutgers,pyramid}!iuvax!silver!rschofie
	rschofie@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (192.12.206.2)
	rschofie@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)

khan@milton.acs.washington.edu (I Wish) (02/23/90)

I've heard that GEORAM does indeed have 512K.... but it lacks the
high-speed memory-moving hardware that make the 1750/64 really useful
outside of GEOS.

There was information on QuantumLink (I used to be a member) a while
back on how to put 512K in your 1764.... I never tried it, but I can
dig it up and mail/post it converted and UUEncoded.

(Will this be a good way to distribute GEOS stuff?  Run it through
 Convert and then UUEncode?)
--
"indecipherable strangers handing out inexplicable humiliation and an
 unidentified army of horsemen laughing at him in his head ..."

randy@athena.mit.edu (Randall W Winchester) (02/23/90)

In article <7000031@pewter> rschofie@pewter.ucs.indiana.edu writes:

>Has anyone seen the new GEOS REU called GEORAM 512 (I believe)? If so, can
>it be used for other things besides GEOS? 512K is more memory than the
>Commodore brand REU isn't it?
>                                          Robert Schofield

I saw a GEORAM last week.  It's a strange looking device.  Almost two
inches of the end of the board that plugs into the expansion port
sticks out of the end of the case, giving the unit a crude unfinished
look.

So far, GEORAM works only with GEOS.  It lacks the custom DMA
controller which would make it compatible with the Commodore line of
REUs.  The rumor mill has it that some third party developers might
consider developing software that will work with it, but I wouldn't
hold my breath.

The Commodore 1750 REU has 512K, and the 1764 can be upgraded from
256K to 512 K with the addition of another bank of 256K RAM chips.

I think Berkeley SoftWork's advertising is far from truthful.  The
"reviews" they quote in their GEORAM ad are general statements about
how well GEOS runs with the Commodore RAM expanders.

* Randy Winchester * randy@athena.mit.edu * PO Box 1074, Cambridge, MA  02142 *

slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) (02/23/90)

The new GEO RAM is not supposed to be usable by anything but GEOS, however
I have not seen one, so I cannot support or refute this claim. I will guess,
however, that it can only be used by GEOS.

Yes, the 512K RAM is more than the standard 1764 REU, however this REU can
be simply modified to handle 512K instead of 256K (adding 8 256K chips
internally, thereby voiding the warranty).  Another modification (quite more
complicated) will allow this REU to handle 2MEG RAM.  If interested, I will
send the procedures for both modifications to the mail servers.

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (02/27/90)

In article <14284@s.ms.uky.edu> slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) writes:
>...  Another modification (quite more
>complicated) will allow this REU to handle 2MEG RAM.  If interested, I will
>send the procedures for both modifications to the mail servers.

Please do!  Special thanks to our (lack-of-a) nameserver, else I would have
sent mail.

scott@max.u.washington.edu (02/27/90)

In article <2591@uwm.edu>, jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
> In article <14284@s.ms.uky.edu> slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) writes:
>>...  Another modification (quite more
>>complicated) will allow this REU to handle 2MEG RAM.  If interested, I will
>>send the procedures for both modifications to the mail servers.
>
> Please do!  Special thanks to our (lack-of-a) nameserver, else I would have
> sent mail.

Yes I second that.....thanks

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (02/28/90)

In article <13328.25e92283@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> In article <2591@uwm.edu>, jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
> >>complicated) will allow this REU to handle 2MEG RAM.  If interested, I will
> >>send the procedures for both modifications to the mail servers.
> >
> > Please do!  Special thanks to our (lack-of-a) nameserver, else I would have
Me too please!!!  I'm planning on digging up a 1750 this summer, and 2 meg
would be GREAT!!!  I'll bet it would be awsome to use with any BBS!

Thanks,
Sean Burke, Cat-Talk

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -