[comp.sys.cbm] 1571 Errors

RYAN-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (stephen) (02/28/90)

My brother has a C64 and a 1571 disk drive.  He has a couple of disks
(Compute! and Run 'Best of' collections) which report checksum errors
on some files.  These same errors do not occur on another C64 with a
1541 disk drive.  Any ideas what the problem might be?

Also, does anybody have any experience/hints about using the double-sided
mode of the 1571 with a C64.  Any information would be appreciated.

And lastly, I wonder if there are any public domain programs that allow
a C64 with a 1571 disk drive to read MS-DOS format disks.  Or alternatively,
a program on the Amiga to read/write 1541/1571 format disks.

E-mail to ryan-s@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu or post, as you prefer.

Thanks.

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/01/90)

In article <12569796253004@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> RYAN-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (stephen) writes:
>Also, does anybody have any experience/hints about using the double-sided
>mode of the 1571 with a C64.  Any information would be appreciated.

   The 1571 will power up in single-sided mode for compatibility with
the 1541. Check your 1571 manual to find the command to switch to
double sided mode (I think it's "N1", but I'm not sure).

   If this 1571 doesn't have the new DOS ROM in it, I suggest leaving
it in single-sided mode when you expect to be reading 1541 disks; the
old ROMs took a long time to recognize single-sided disks when in
double-sided mode.

>And lastly, I wonder if there are any public domain programs that allow
>a C64 with a 1571 disk drive to read MS-DOS format disks.  Or alternatively,
>a program on the Amiga to read/write 1541/1571 format disks.

   I don't know about PD software, but I have heard of (but never seen)
"Little Blue Reader" (or something of that sort), a C64 version of the
Big Blue Reader (which reads/writes Mess-DOS disks on a C128/1571).

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

seeley@ug.cs.dal.ca (Geoff Seeley) (03/02/90)

In article <1990Feb28.171801.23665@xenitec.on.ca> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>In article <12569796253004@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> RYAN-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (stephen) writes:
>>Also, does anybody have any experience/hints about using the double-sided
>>mode of the 1571 with a C64.  Any information would be appreciated.
>
>   The 1571 will power up in single-sided mode for compatibility with
>the 1541. Check your 1571 manual to find the command to switch to
>double sided mode (I think it's "N1", but I'm not sure).

The correct commands to get the 1571 into double sided mode are:

		u0>m1         (enters double sided mode)
		u0>m0         (enters single sided mode)

I have used the 1571 double sided mode with the C64 mode (have C128) with
no problems. The only trouble is that the 71 defaults to single sided mode
when the machine is reset (in 64 mode) or first powered up (in 64 mode).
This makes it necessary to send "u0>m1" to the drive each time you reset,
but this isn't a big chore if you have the built in wedge of
SuperSnapShot v5 ... :-)
					-Geoff Seeley
+ Geoff Seeley                                                                +
+ UUCP  : seeley@ug.cs.dal.ca.UUCP             BITNET: geoff@ac.dal.ca.bitnet +