[comp.sys.cbm] Info on portable version of C-64

ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) (03/01/90)

Hi.

I'm looking for some info on the "portable" version of the C-64. I remember
seeing one years ago --- I believe it was called the SX-64.
Does anyone out there have one of these? If so,

- Is it functionally identical to a regular C-64?
- What type and size of screen does it have (color, mono?)
- Is a disk drive built in?
- Are connection points such as the cartridge expansion port easily accessible?
  I need to connect a fairly bulky and flimsy cartridge device.

If anyone has one of these that they are willing to sell, I'd definitely
be interested.

Thanks,

Georg.
--
Georg Feil                                 Internet: ghfeil@white.toronto.edu
                                             -or-  : georg@sgl.ists.ca

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Feb28.123734.25288@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm looking for some info on the "portable" version of the C-64. I remember
>
> - Is it functionally identical to a regular C-64?

Yes it is, the only difference is that the power-up screen is blue on white.

> - What type and size of screen does it have (color, mono?)

It has a 4-inch built-in color screen.  Decent picture clarity, but not good
for small 80-col stuff.

> - Are connection points such as the cartridge expansion port easily accessible?
>   I need to connect a fairly bulky and flimsy cartridge device.

Not really.  The cartridge port (if I remember correctly) is located near the top of the computer case, so any large device would need something to prop it up
at that height or it would probably break the connector on either the computer
or the cartridge.

> - Is the disk drive built - in?

Yes, a 1541 drive is built in, and it has a serial port for the addition of
another drive.

If any of this info is wrong (it's been some time since I used an SX, please
don't hesitate to correct me)

Sean Burke
Cat-Talk Conferencing System
Prys BBS (216) 564-7797

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (03/02/90)

The SX-64 is indeed the model of CBM's portable C64.
I have owned one for 3+ years and have had no problems with it.
A 1541 is built in. The screen is a standard C= monitor @ 5.5" diag. measure.
It has 2 joystick ports, I expansion port, 1 User I/O port. All ports are easily accessable. Mine has BASIC V2.0 built in as any standard C64. Two nice additions for the machine is a reset botton for the CPU and one for the 1541.

I'd be willing to part with mine for $600.00

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (03/02/90)

P.S.

I forgot to mention the additional serial port as well as a C= video output port for a full size monitor.
The expansion port is on top of the case near the right hand side.

khan@milton.acs.washington.edu (I Wish) (03/02/90)

In article <44@tygra.UUCP> wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) writes:

> In article <1990Feb28.123734.25288@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
> ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) writes:
>
>> - Are connection points such as the cartridge expansion port easily
>>   accessible?  I need to connect a fairly bulky and flimsy cartridge
>>   device.
>
> near the top of the computer case, so any large device would need
> something to prop it up at that height or it would probably break the
> connector on either the computer or the cartridge.

The cartridge port is on top facing up (nice easy access, but...).
Anything in it will be on top connected at the bottom and pointing
straight up.  This looks strange and dangerous for a modem, and I
wouldn't even consider anything larger, bulkier, or more expensive up
there unsupported.  (A multi-cartridge selector would be *great*
fun....)

>> - Is the disk drive built - in?
>
> Yes, a 1541 drive is built in, and it has a serial port for the
> addition of another drive.

It's an old-style 1541 (the rattletrap, I had one); I don't have any
idea how easy it is to realign, but since this is a *portable* disk
drive, and given the track record of the older series (with the pull-out
doors), have the alignment checked if you find one -- especially if the
owner used to haul it around without a head protector in it.
--
"indecipherable strangers handing out inexplicable humiliation and an
 unidentified army of horsemen laughing at him in his head ..."