[comp.sys.cbm] Seikosha SP1200VC help

hamilton@sun.acs.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) (03/14/90)

When I bought my C64 system last year, I knew nothing about printers, and I
bought a Seikosha SP1200VC printer, which hooked up directly to the C64 (it's
a Commodore Compatible printer).  However, when I run GEOS, the printer driver
I must use is the Comm. Compat. driver, which cuts off the right 1/4 of the
screen, and lowers the resolution.  The SP1200VC, however, is capable of
printing the entire screen in full resolution in its ASCII mode.  The Comm.
Compat. driver runs the printer in CBM mode.
Does anyone out there have a driver for my printer which runs at full res?  Or
know where I can get one?  I planned on altering the driver with GEOAssembler,
to make it work, but I haven't been able to disassemble/edit the driver.  And
I don't know enough to write a driver from scratch.

Please help!

J. P. Grenert
hamilton@sun.acs.udel.edu

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (03/17/90)

In article <9073@sun.acs.udel.edu> hamilton@sun.acs.udel.edu (Andrew W Hamilton) writes:
>When I bought my C64 system last year, I knew nothing about printers, and I
>bought a Seikosha SP1200VC printer, which hooked up directly to the C64 (it's
>a Commodore Compatible printer).  However, when I run GEOS, the printer driver
>I must use is the Comm. Compat. driver, which cuts off the right 1/4 of the
>screen, and lowers the resolution.  The SP1200VC, however, is capable of
>printing the entire screen in full resolution in its ASCII mode.  The Comm.
>Compat. driver runs the printer in CBM mode.

I have a Seikosha printer, but I don't have GEOS.  (If you find a driver that
will support the Seikosha, I will probably buy GEOS.)

In graphics mode the Seikosha thinks it's a Commodore.  That's why the poor
resolution.  I have figured out how to print with more resolution.  But, I
haven't implemented it.  (It's not pretty!)

1. In bit mapped mode, print 3 blank columns.  Print odd row, odd col.  Go
   to the start of the same line.
2. In compressed text mode, print 1 blank (3.5 columns bit mapped).  Print
   even col, odd row.  Set line feed length to 1/2 row.
3. Print a carrage return in text mode.
4. Repeat 1 & 2 and print the even row.
5. Set the line feed length to graphics length - 1/2 line.  Print a carrage
   return in text mode.
6. Repeat until you finish the page.

--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)