[comp.sys.cbm] C-64 Telecommunications

chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) (03/16/90)

I am trying to help out a group of teenage mothers at the YWCA that
has some C-64 machines which they would like to use for telecommunications.
They don't have any modems nor telecommunications software.  That
is the part that I am trying to help with.  I am familiar with
IBM/Mac/Apple hardware/software, but ignorant about C-64.  So, I would
like to ask:

	1.  What modem do you recommend to get?
            (about what should it cost and what cable will I need?)
              [Ideally, it should be 2400 baud.]

	2.  What software do you recommend to get?
              (about what should it cost?)
            [the users will be rank novices, and will
             not need fancy features, but it is essential
	     have VT100 (or VT52) terminal emulation.]

	3.  Can you recommend any dealers in the NYC area?

	4.  What else should have I asked about this, but know to?

	Many thanks for your help.

Seth Chaiklin         Institute for Learning Technologies
(212) 678-3899        Box 8, Teachers College, Columbia University, NYC 10027
INTERNET:  chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    UUCP:  seth@ny-yn

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.063140.23543@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:

> I am trying to help out a group of teenage mothers at the YWCA that
> has some C-64 machines which they would like to use for telecommunications.

If you want an easy 2400 baud modem, aprotek makes one that plugs into the
commodore 64 or 128 directly.  It sells for around $80 mail-order.  However,
there have been reports of problems with the 64 at 2400 baud.

For terminal software, there are may PD/Shareware programs that are inexpensive,
powerful, and easy to use.

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) (03/17/90)

In article <122@tygra.UUCP> wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) writes:

>If you want an easy 2400 baud modem, aprotek makes one that plugs into the
>commodore 64 or 128 directly.  It sells for around $80 mail-order.  However,
>there have been reports of problems with the 64 at 2400 baud.

This sounds really great.  Another person also recommended this via mail.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to mail-order this from?
As I understand, it would not be necessary to get a RS232 serial adaptor
under this method (with the downside being that the modem will be
useless if you decide to get another brand of computer....but for $80
it seems worthwhile).

I too have heard reports of problems because the C-64 does not
have a UART so the CPU  has to do all the bit-shifting. (At  least
I am reporting what one emailer told me.)  But we could still
run this modem at 1200 baud I assume.

  Seth

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar17.140940.25393@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:
|In article <122@tygra.UUCP> wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) writes:
|
|If you want an easy 2400 baud modem, aprotek makes one that plugs into the
|commodore 64 or 128 directly.  It sells for around $80 mail-order.  However,
|there have been reports of problems with the 64 at 2400 baud.

#This sounds really great.  Another person also recommended this via mail.
#Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to mail-order this from?
#As I understand, it would not be necessary to get a RS232 serial adaptor
#under this method (with the downside being that the modem will be
#useless if you decide to get another brand of computer....but for $80
#it seems worthwhile).
#
#  Seth
#
#
#Seth Chaiklin         Institute for Learning Technologies
#212) 678-3899        Box 8, Teachers College, Columbia University, NYC 10027
#INTERNET:  chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    UUCP:  seth@ny-yn
#
I recommend:
Tenex Computer Express
Somewhere in Indiana
If anyone has the address handy, please post it for those whose catalogs from
Tenex are lost in their messy rooms :-)
I've ordered from them 8 or 9 times, even got the preferred customer envelope.
They give good prices. I would've saved $20 if I'd ordered Aprotek's C24 modem
from them and not Aprotek themselves :-(
I use a C-128D with VT100-128 at 2400 baud, but there is no TRUE problem with
the 64 doing 2400 baud. 2400 baud is the max speed, but it works PERFECTLY
whenever a machine-language term program is used. The problems only come up
when a non-machine language term prog is used.

There ya go.

*    // Only /\      [5;7mLord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys[0;0m
*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new, shorter .sig!)*

kajihara@mcnc.org (Lord of Sith) (03/18/90)

Tenex Computer Express
P.O. Box 6578
South Bend, IN 46660

Orders: 1-800-PROMPT-1

--
     Scott Akira Kajihara
mcnc!kajihara  kajihara@mcnc.org  mcnc!pyvax!kajihara  mcnc!pymvjb!kajihara

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/19/90)

Tenex Computer mart has the Aprotek 2400 baud modems.  Their # is
1-800-PROMPT-1.
: