[comp.sys.cbm] Game recommendation

blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) (03/16/90)

I would like a game recommendation for my son, eight.  He doesn't like
arcade games much, finds them boring.  On the other hand, stuff like
bard's tale is too wordy and obscure.  Favorite game was Windham's
_Alice_in_Wonderland_, featuring thousands of screens that the
character moved (walked, ran, jumped, crawled) through, encountering
puzzles, some "agility" action, and characters that offered clues or
useful items you hit them with the right prompt (about twenty options
available through a joystick menu).  Live action clues and puzzles.
Can anyone recommend another game sort of like that?
--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

huntert@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tim Hunter) (03/16/90)

In article <BLK.90Mar15122647@vanity.mitre.org> blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) writes:
>I would like a game recommendation for my son, eight.  He doesn't like
>arcade games much, finds them boring.  On the other hand, stuff like
>bard's tale is too wordy and obscure.  Favorite game was Windham's
>_Alice_in_Wonderland_,

Well, Windham has a few more similar games: _Below_The_Root_ and
_The_Wizard_Of_Oz_ - these are quite enjoyable (there might be more in
this genre, but I don't know about them - try sending for a catalog)

Winham also puts out _Swiss_Family_Robinson_, but it isn't a game where you
have a live, jumping personage, as in _BTR_ and _AIW_.

Another company that puts out similar games is LucasFilm. _Maniac_Mansion_,
_Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mind_Benders_ and _Labyrinth_(based on the film)
are all enjoyable, and the first two are pretty funny, though the jokes may
be slightly above the 8-year-old level.

Hope this helps...

--------------
  Tim Hunter				University of Colorado, Boulder
  huntert@tramp.Colorado.EDU		'I really don't like lobster!'

JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu (03/16/90)

   I would recommend a game which has a system exact to that.  What a
coincidence!  It's by the same company!    If he likes "Alice in Wonderland",
he love "Below the Root."    See if you can find that one for him, if you don't
have it already.
          John L. Berger

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (03/19/90)

In article <BLK.90Mar15122647@vanity.mitre.org>, blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) writes:
> I would like a game recommendation for my son, eight.  He doesn't like
> arcade games much, finds them boring.  On the other hand, stuff like
> bard's tale is too wordy and obscure.  Favorite game was Windham's
> _Alice_in_Wonderland_, featuring thousands of screens that the
> character moved (walked, ran, jumped, crawled) through, encountering
> puzzles, some "agility" action, and characters that offered clues or
> useful items you hit them with the right prompt (about twenty options
> available through a joystick menu).  Live action clues and puzzles.
> Can anyone recommend another game sort of like that?
> --
> B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

If he WAS good with words (what kid is at 8) I would recommend Ultima III. I
solved that many years back, but I wasn't 8. Maybe he should try Kings Quest,
but then again- that is text based also. Haha get im a nintendo and Super
Mario Bro's I, II, or III. They are packed with puzzles that don't require any
reading- they have running, walking and jumping action. I think Mario Bros 3
just came out in march (I don't have a nintendo but I used to visit my nephew
who is 7 and does have one.) Hope some of those help. But Brian, if you do get
him a nintendo- count on playing it more than he does..haha.

Byron
--
/ /  \/   /\  /_/  \_| |-------------------| |   / |The Legendary City of Frore|