[comp.sys.cbm] Where Can I get PD/Share for CBM in IBM format

awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) (03/10/90)

I am running a BBS and would like to support some Commodore file areas.
There are other BBS's in my areas that would like to do so.
I no longer have a CBM machine though.

Where can I get alot of PD/Shareware stuff ?
Does anyone have any stuff they can cpio or zip and uuto to me ?

Andrew Gaunt
awg@attsb.att.com

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (03/11/90)

Try requesting from ftp's or the Mail Archive servers (UXV-Maze or Disk). The
mail address of the mail archive servers are acliu@skat.usc.edu (UXV) and
specter@disk.UUCP (disk). Title your subject "Mail-Archive-Request" and type
"help" in the body of the message and send it. It will give you full information
on how to request the files you want.

Byron Guernsey

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/12/90)

In article <14650@cbnews.ATT.COM>, awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) writes:
> I am running a BBS and would like to support some Commodore file areas.
> There are other BBS's in my areas that would like to do so.
> I no longer have a CBM machine though.
>
> Where can I get alot of PD/Shareware stuff ?
> Does anyone have any stuff they can cpio or zip and uuto to me ?
>
> Andrew Gaunt
> awg@attsb.att.com

There is no need for CBM files to be archive in IBM format. CBM files
(either binary or ascii) can be saved on a IBM hard/disk drive with
no problem. The only thing is that to run a CBM program you need a CBM
machine.
If you are asking the files to be (ibm) ZIPed (C64 has their own ZIP)
inorder to save disk space, I think this will be a great inconvinience
for CBM users since their will be needing to upload it to an IBM to
un-ZIP and then re-download it to the CBM. And also CBM files are
not ususally that humongous to warrant size reduction.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

In article <13439.25fab7e3@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> In article <14650@cbnews.ATT.COM>, awg@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.w.gaunt) writes:
>> I am running a BBS and would like to support some Commodore file areas.
>> There are other BBS's in my areas that would like to do so.
>> I no longer have a CBM machine though.
>>
>> Where can I get alot of PD/Shareware stuff ?
>> Does anyone have any stuff they can cpio or zip and uuto to me ?
>>
>> Andrew Gaunt
>> awg@attsb.att.com
>
> There is no need for CBM files to be archive in IBM format. CBM files
> (either binary or ascii) can be saved on a IBM hard/disk drive with
> no problem. The only thing is that to run a CBM program you need a CBM
> machine.
> If you are asking the files to be (ibm) ZIPed (C64 has their own ZIP)
> inorder to save disk space, I think this will be a great inconvinience
> for CBM users since their will be needing to upload it to an IBM to
> un-ZIP and then re-download it to the CBM. And also CBM files are
> not ususally that humongous to warrant size reduction.
>

> Sincerely,
> Scott K. Stephen

One other thing...to get CBM files checkout the FTP sites supporting
the CBM and also the Mail Servers, or checkout one of your local
CBM BBSs (I guess you probably knew these....)

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (03/13/90)

Gemini Shareware is now offering CBM software.
You can reach them at 1-800-782-6861.
I would imagine you could arrange for the software to be transferred to an IBM disk.

--
... Women pickled in limbo, their legs chalky and their faces slightly twisted, as if they had been knocked into their thirties by a sideways blow.

              John Updike
            Rabbit Is Rich

stick@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Stickster) (03/20/90)

   No special conversions are necessary to upload or download Commodore
files to a BBS that uses an IBM machine.  Any file compression programs
that you use should be one of the C= specific ones like the ARC200
series, or Lynx, Library, etc.  The ones used by other machines will
require conversion by the host machine before you can use the file.
|Steve Langner-Stickster-Commodore SIGOp|rutgers!mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!stick |
|    Enterprise Information System     |     stick@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US     |
=================> "It's dead Jim, but not as we know it." <==================