[comp.sys.cbm] BBS programs for the C64

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/13/90)

Couple days ago there was a post from someone looking for
Bulletin Board System programs for the C64...Well, you can
find five of them in the Milton FTP-site.

They are:

MICRORAM BBS -- Simple BBS with every configuration and
                message base kept on the RAM. Excellent
                for beginner SYSOPS.

FRP BBS -- Fantasy Role Playing BBS

EBBS -- by Ed Parry

AA BBS -- All American BBS (what a name huh?)  :-)

STR BBS -- Star/R (I think this one can only support 300 baud ack!)

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu (03/15/90)

AARGH!   EBBS?   All-American?!    ST/R!!   Excuse me while I puke!  (WRETCH!)
Ah, that's better.

    Hey, if someone is looking for BBSs, they should look for GOOD ones.
I've seen a lot of Commodore BBSs come and go, including a lot of different
formats.   If you can find any, and I'm sure there are still a lot around,
try to get your hands on Deadlock BBS Construction Kit, CMBBS, SCBBS, or
Color 64 or 128.   All of these are Color/Graphics, some 2400 baud but all
are 1200, Punter and XModem, mostly in BASIC for easy modification.
    Puh-lease.    All-American indeed!   That must be the worst -- well, no.
ST/R BBS is by all means the worst.    EBBS is all right, but because it's
easy to use, a lot of people have it, plus it doesn't offer expansion unless
you decompile it then recompile it, which gets to be a pain in the butt-ski.
    Another one that's pretty good is C-Net/DS-II.    I've never worked with
it myself, but a lot of people have it.  However, you need AT LEAST two drives
to make it any good.
    All-American!   ST/R!   EBBS!    HA HA HA ha ha ha .. .. ..

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (03/15/90)

In article <90073.115336JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu> JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>AARGH!   EBBS?   All-American?!    ST/R!!   Excuse me while I puke!  (WRETCH!)
[ Comments on Those BBSes being .... deleted ]
>try to get your hands on Deadlock BBS Construction Kit, CMBBS, SCBBS, or
>Color 64 or 128.   All of these are Color/Graphics, some 2400 baud but all
>are 1200, Punter and XModem, mostly in BASIC for easy modification.
>    Another one that's pretty good is C-Net/DS-II.    I've never worked with

Well, what is wrong with those BBSes?  The fact that YOU don't like
them, doesn't make the programs useless.  Somebody might like those.

Besides, this is a Public Archive for Public Domain or freely
distributable things.  From the examples you mention, I KNOW that
C-Net/DS-II is Copyrighted, thus cannot be put in an Archive.
(Though, I have worked with C-Net v4.0 128, and I can say that is VERY
GOOD program, supports 2400bd, and has PUnter, Xmodem, CG graphics and
ANSI as well.  And it is ML and BASIC, and it is very easy to modify.
It is a very good program... but back to our regularly scheduled
flame)

If you recommend those programs so much, and they are public domain,
why don't you do us a favor and submit them to the server huh?  Stop
complaining and DO SOMETHING!

(Sorry for wasting bandwidth (wasted bandwidth, in Comp.sys.cbm?!?!?!)
but I hate people that complain but don't contribute!)

Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu%skat@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!edu

varneyml@clutx.clarkson.edu (,215 Hamlin,,2684032) (03/15/90)

From article <90073.115336JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu>, by <JLB119@psuvm.psu.edu>:
> AARGH!   EBBS?   All-American?!    ST/R!!   Excuse me while I puke!  (WRETCH!)
> Ah, that's better.

I believe the origional question was about public domain BBS programs,
but I have to admit that you should spend the money and buy one of the
better programs.  I purchased Color64 by Greg Pfountz, and loved it...
mainly because it was writen mostly in basic, and could (and have) written
games and other mods for it.  As far as those public domain BBS programs,
they're good to look at to help you decide what you're mainly interested
in, but I wouldn't put one of those up.  If you're gonna spend all that money
and time (ESPECIALLY the time...sysoping ain't no 2 hour on weekends job),
get a good program.

                                                  Mike
                                                          Varney

                                                   STARBASE 41 BBS
                                                      Color64, Network64

yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Scott `The_Edge` Yanoff) (03/18/90)

As a former SysOp and BBSer, I have had some experience with BBS progs for the
C64....My best suggestions are:
1:  Contact local SysOps of boards you frequent...most are more than willing
to help (they should be, otherwise they don't deserve to be runnning a BBS)

2:  Why not write your own?  This is often a great way to get wht you want

3:  If you are not an experienced programmer (like me) then you may choose to
do what I did:  modify a previously
written BBS...d-load the ones from the

FTP sites and examine them and pick one
that has the most of the features you
are looking for, and use the other BBS'
as references (print them out, since they said that most of them were in BASIC)

Even me, and unexperienced programmer added in features to an already popular
BBS program that no other local BBS'
had...also, I learned quite a bit about
prgramming just by examing these BBS' in Basic

I modified the 6485 BBS program...I think it is now called Ivory BBS or maybe
it might even have changed names again,
I'm not sure :)

Also, perhaps you have seen Joe Greco post to this newsgroup (he does often,
as jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu)
He wrote the Happy Hacker BBS...it is one written by him and it is very good and since he is on the net, he could be
easily contacted if you have questions..

One thing I liked about that BBS program was that it was EASILY personalized..
he had ALL the output in a seq file, so
all ya gotta do is boot up your favorite word processor and edit away! :)

--
/////
/                    /     /

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (03/20/90)

In article <2938@uwm.edu> yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Scott `The_Edge` Yanoff) writes:
>2:  Why not write your own?  This is often a great way to get wht you want

Very true.  Good experience.  I'm miles ahead of everyone else in my class
because I had to learn what they are teaching us in school years ago  ;-)

>Also, perhaps you have seen Joe Greco post to this newsgroup (he does often,
>as jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu)

Me?  Post?  Nah.

>He wrote the Happy Hacker BBS...it is one written by him and it is very good and since he is on the net, he could be
>easily contacted if you have questions..

Thanks for the invitation, Scott (grr)...  but seriously I never have turned
away a question.

>One thing I liked about that BBS program was that it was EASILY personalized..
>he had ALL the output in a seq file, so
>all ya gotta do is boot up your favorite word processor and edit away! :)

That was a previous version; the newer versions aren't quite so customizable in
that respect.  However, it works on a "design-yer-own-menus" concept that can
really be quite flexible, when given the options available.  It's also not
completed, and probably  will never be released.  :-(

By the way, whoever mentioned that "Sysoping is not a two hour per weekend job"
is right... it's more like a one hour a weekend job, answering mail.  I don't
have the time anymore to babysit the system, with my course load, and the
system commonly runs up 50-day uptimes.  A testament to good coding and
sturdy drives  ;-)

I'll field reasonable questions, though.

... Joe