[comp.sys.cbm] Fastload & download

hampel@demon.siemens.com (Ken Hampel (Blave a blave blave.)) (03/17/90)

Does an Epyx Fastload cartridge interfere with downloading a file?
I got kermit2.2 off of washington and onto a VAX8650 using ftp binary
mode.  I downloaded kermit to my C64 using xmodem (binary mode).  I
could not get kermit to load.  I got some read error on a particular
block.  Any suggestions?  Is it the Fastload cartridge?  In general,
is it okay to have the Fastload active?  Thanks.

-Ken
hampel@demon.siemens.com

baseball@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Gregg Walters) (03/17/90)

> Does an Epyx Fastload cartridge interfere with downloading a file?
> I got kermit2.2 off of washington and onto a VAX8650 using ftp binary
> mode.  I downloaded kermit to my C64 using xmodem (binary mode).  I
> could not get kermit to load.  I got some read error on a particular
> block.  Any suggestions?  Is it the Fastload cartridge?  In general,
> is it okay to have the Fastload active?  Thanks.
>
> -Ken
> hampel@demon.siemens.com

Try loading your Kermit software without the Fastload cartridge plugged
in.  If it works, it means that there is some memory conflict between
the Fastload cartridge and Kermit.  This would not mean that something
is wrong, they are just not compatible.  About 1/3 of my software won't
load and/or run with Fastload.  I don't believe that there is a universal
solution to the slow loading problem of the 1541.

+          Gregg (how 'bout those Cubs / let's go bowling) Walters         +
#======================================##==================================#
+ Man will occasionally stumble over   ++ baseball@ncar.ucar.edu [internet]+
+ the truth, but most of the time he   ++ baseball@ncario          [bitnet]+
+ will pick himself up and continue on.++ ...!ncar!baseball          [uucp]+
#==========================================================================#
++++++++++++++++ NO WARRANTIES AND ALL DISCLAIMERS APPLY +++++++++++++++++++
#==========================================================================#

Roger_Thornton_Williams@cup.portal.com (03/18/90)

>baseball@ncar.ucar.edu writes:

>About 1/3 of my software won't
>load and/or run with Fastload.  I don't believe that there is a universal
>solution to the slow loading problem of the 1541.

I have both an Epyx Fastload and a CinemaWare Warp Speed cartridge.  Warp
Speed is *much* more software compatible than Fastload.  And it works
with Kermit 2.2.  I agree though that Warp Speed isn't a *universal*
solution. (It doesn't work with my Q-Link disk for example).  But it
does offer more compatibility than Fastload.

Roger Williams
Roger_Thornton_Williams@cup.portal.com

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (03/19/90)

In article <27982@cup.portal.com> Roger_Thornton_Williams@cup.portal.com writes:
>>baseball@ncar.ucar.edu writes:
>
>>About 1/3 of my software won't
|>load and/or run with Fastload.  I don't believe that there is a universal
|>solution to the slow loading problem of the 1541.
|
|I have both an Epyx Fastload and a CinemaWare Warp Speed cartridge.  Warp
|Speed is *much* more software compatible than Fastload.  And it works
|with Kermit 2.2.  I agree though that Warp Speed isn't a *universal*
|solution. (It doesn't work with my Q-Link disk for example).  But it
|does offer more compatibility than Fastload.
|
|Roger Williams
|Roger_Thornton_Williams@cup.portal.com

Maybe it's a difference in our selection of software, or the fact that I use a
128D w/ 1571 built in (and occasionally my 1541, as Defender of the Crown
doesn't work with my 1571) and you might be using a C-64, but WarpSpeed vs
FastLoad comes down to this:
WarpSpeed is invariably FASTER.
FastLoad is _MORE_ software compatible, and I have many _COMMERCIAL_ software
programs, so perhaps a full stock of PD programs on your side might account
for it. Of course I have a lot of PD stuff too, but If one cartridge doesn't
work with it, it's invariably WarpSpeed. If you want fast, try the fastloader
built into Pool of Radiance or Curse of The Azure Bonds.

*    // Only /\      [5;7mLord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys[0;0m
*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new, shorter .sig!)*

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/21/90)

In article <6672@ncar.ucar.edu>, baseball@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Gregg Walters) writes:
> About 1/3 of my software won't
> load and/or run with Fastload.  I don't believe that there is a universal
> solution to the slow loading problem of the 1541.

Ahh, but there is a solution...and it is called "JiffyDOS" by the
people of Creative Micro Design. Unlike other product this is an actual
chip replace (which can be done very easily) for the disk drive (whatever
it might be 1541, 1571, 1581, etc) and for the C64 or C128 that accesses it.
With JiffyDOS installed disk access overall (according to
the ad) is 15 times faster. What is more CMD claims 100% compatibility
or your money back!
For an ad of this product see recent issue of a commodore magainze.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (03/22/90)

In article <13473.26068f64@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>In article <6672@ncar.ucar.edu>, baseball@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Gregg Walters) writes:
>> About 1/3 of my software won't
>> load and/or run with Fastload.  I don't believe that there is a universal
>> solution to the slow loading problem of the 1541.
>
>Ahh, but there is a solution...and it is called "JiffyDOS" by the
>people of Creative Micro Design. Unlike other product this is an actual
>chip replace (which can be done very easily) for the disk drive (whatever
>it might be 1541, 1571, 1581, etc) and for the C64 or C128 that accesses it.
>With JiffyDOS installed disk access overall (according to
>the ad) is 15 times faster. ...

To put it politely, this claim is extremely EXAGGERATED.  I suspect that
they may be talking about the actual transfer rate speedup, but this is
misleading since the transfer rate over the serial bus is only one of many
factors that affect the speedup that the user sees.

For any speedup device, the easiest types of transfers to speed-up are large
block transfers.  For the C64, the only large block transfers that the
kernal routines do are LOADs and SAVEs.  As JiffyDos and others have shown,
it is indeed possible to speed-up other disk accesses, but these are never
as fast as the speed-ups possible for LOADs and SAVEs.

I seem to remember that if you re-save files under the JiffyDos format
(which is just a tighter interleave than the 1541 normally uses), you can
get into the double digits in speed-up (i.e. > 10 times), but I've never
been able to get 15 times speed-up.  However, if you take any plain old
ordinary 1541 disk, and try to load it in with JiffyDos, you will only get a
5 times speed-up!  This is still respectable, but it's only as fast as
archaic FastLoad.  JiffyDos is a reasonably good product, but don't expect
miracles.  The biggest complaint I have about JiffyDos is their consistently
misleading ads.

>For an ad of this product see recent issue of a commodore magainze.
>
>Sincerely,
>Scott K. Stephen

Yeah, and while you're at it, look at the other ads too.

Marcel A. LeBlanc	   | University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
"leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu" | and: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada
UUCP:	uunet!utai!eecg!leblanc    BITNET: leblanc@eecg.utoronto[.ca]