[comp.sys.cbm] 4164 question

rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) (03/21/90)

I am planning to built an additional 64k ram into my c64. I want to do this by
putting another eight 4164's into it. Looking at adverbs I saw that the 4164 is
available as 120 and 150 ns model. Because the c64 is a slow computer I think
the cheaper 150ns type should be sufficient. Is this assumption correct?
What is the exact relation between the speed of the processor and the rams? In
other words: What is the slowest possible ram that could be built into the c64?

I sure hope someone has a clear answer to this question.

Reg Lobee
rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl
mcsun!botter!rcwlobe

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/21/90)

In article <6056@star.cs.vu.nl>, rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) writes:
> I am planning to built an additional 64k ram into my c64. I want to do this by
> putting another eight 4164's into it. Looking at adverbs I saw that the 4164 is
> available as 120 and 150 ns model. Because the c64 is a slow computer I think
> the cheaper 150ns type should be sufficient. Is this assumption correct?
> What is the exact relation between the speed of the processor and the rams? In
> other words: What is the slowest possible ram that could be built into the c64?
>
> I sure hope someone has a clear answer to this question.
>
> Reg Lobee
> rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl
> mcsun!botter!rcwlobe

About the speed of chips, 150ns is more than adaquate for the C64.
I can't be specific, but I can says these, an IBM XT/Compatible
uses memory chips no faster than 150ns.

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (03/22/90)

In article <13476.2607039a@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>In article <6056@star.cs.vu.nl>, rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl (Reg Lobee) writes:
>> I am planning to built an additional 64k ram into my c64. I want to do this by
>> putting another eight 4164's into it. Looking at adverbs I saw that the 4164 is
>> available as 120 and 150 ns model. Because the c64 is a slow computer I think
>> the cheaper 150ns type should be sufficient. Is this assumption correct?
>> What is the exact relation between the speed of the processor and the rams? In
>> other words: What is the slowest possible ram that could be built into the c64?
>>
>> I sure hope someone has a clear answer to this question.
>>
>> Reg Lobee
>> rcwlobe@cs.vu.nl
>
>About the speed of chips, 150ns is more than adaquate for the C64.
>I can't be specific, but I can says these, an IBM XT/Compatible
>uses memory chips no faster than 150ns.

Yes, 150ns DRAMs are certainly fast enough.  Using the PC/XT as a comparison
is actually quite useful, since the C64 and the IBM PC run at about the same
BUS speed.  The C64 has a BUS cycle time of about 1000ns, and the IBM PC has
a BUS cycle time of about 840ns (4/4.77 = 0.84 us [or 1.2 MHz]).

If they are any less expensive (and they exist), you could probably use
250ns DRAMs in both of these computers.

Marcel A. LeBlanc	   | University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
"leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu" | and: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada
UUCP:	uunet!utai!eecg!leblanc    BITNET: leblanc@eecg.utoronto[.ca]