[comp.sys.cbm] Unix

tse@PacBell.COM (Tom Edwards) (03/20/90)

To: Gregg Riedell

Are you still reading this group?

Gregg,
I was real interested in you article regarding Unix you had written for
your C128 that was posted Dec 4, 1989. I was waiting for an update by
Alex Liu in regards to you downloading it to his server, but haven't heard
about it since. I'd like to get a copy if possible. Have you downloaded it
and Alex didn't mention it, or can I get a copy direct from you??
Thanks,
Tom Edwards - <backbone !pacbell!pbhyd!tse

 From: podop08@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (podop08)
 Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
 Subject: Commodores and UNIX
 Date: 4 Dec 89 21:06:39 GMT
 Sender: usenet@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu

      1)  I have recently subscribed to this newsgroup, and would like to
 use Alex Liu's server.  Where is it
 and how may I access it?

      2)  Does anyone know of any Commodore 128/UNIX interfaces that are
 around?  I have written a UNIX
 shell for the 128 that boasts 80 commands, an editor, pipelines, I/O
 redirection, aliases, etc etc etc.
 (which I would gladly post to the server mentioned above!  (as soon as I
 compile it!))  My next project
 is an X-Windows display program to run X remotely.
          I would like to hear about any other such endeavors in the UNIX
 area as related to the Commodore.

 Thanks

 Gregg Riedel
 PODOP08@BINGVAXA, BINGVAXU, BINGSUNS

Tom S. Edwards           {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyd!tse

consp24@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu (consp24) (03/20/90)

>I was real interested in you article regarding Unix you had written for
>your C128 that was posted Dec 4, 1989. I was waiting for an update by
>Alex Liu in regards to you downloading it to his server, but haven't heard
>about it since. I'd like to get a copy if possible. Have you downloaded it
>and Alex didn't mention it, or can I get a copy direct from you??
>Thanks,
>Tom Edwards - <backbone !pacbell!pbhyd!tse

     Ahhh... the good old days.  When I thought BASIC could do *anything*
(actually right now I'm working on a GIF viewer for the 128 since no one
seems to have one around....  :(   )
     I got UNIX 128 compiled, finally, and the 'fsck' routine doesn't
work (I do my own directory maintenence since the Commodore doesn't
support multiple heirarchical directories.)  So, as of last night
I have UNIX minus directories (about 2,000 lines of code so far.)
If you want, I'll mail you the source.

Gregg

Gregg W. Riedel     CONSP24 @ BINGVAXA, BINGVAXU, BINGSUNS
Student Consultant - State Univ. of New York at Binghamton
"There are few personal problems that can't be solved by a
        suitable application of high explosives."

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/20/90)

I'l like to know where I could find it too!  I didn't know there was a UNIX
emulator around for the 128.

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

thor@stoutatd.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) (03/21/90)

Here, here! How about setting this up on one of the C64/128 ftp sites?

Richard Neitzel thor@thor.atd.ucar.edu	     	Torren med sitt skjegg
National Center For Atmospheric Research	lokkar borni under sole-vegg
Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307-3000			Gjo'i med sitt shinn
303-497-2057					jagar borni inn.

bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) (03/21/90)

In article <6696@ncar.ucar.edu>, thor@stoutatd.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:
> Here, here! How about setting this up on one of the C64/128 ftp sites?

Seconded.

Devon

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/21/90)

Could you mail me the source too?  i'd REALLY like to see UNIX on the 128.
Thanks.

--

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Chris Carlson) (03/21/90)

In article <19651@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) writes:
>In article <6696@ncar.ucar.edu>, thor@stoutatd.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:
>> Here, here! How about setting this up on one of the C64/128 ftp sites?
>
>Seconded.
>
>Devon

Consider this request thirded. :-)

No, really...  Sounds great.  I missed the request for sources, though.

If the writer decides not to put it on one of the FTP sites, could some kind
soul get the sources mailed to me at
   niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu
please?

Thanks.

Christopher W. Carlson -- niobium@nevada.edu | "Abandon all hope, ye who enter
---------------------------------------------|             here."
  The opinions expressed above are mine and  |
   mine alone, unless you agree with them.   |  --Dante Alighieri

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (03/22/90)

In article <1477@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu.uucp (Chris Carlson) writes:
>In article <19651@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Devon E Bowen) writes:
>>In article <6696@ncar.ucar.edu>, thor@stoutatd.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) writes:
>>> Here, here! How about setting this up on one of the C64/128 ftp sites?
>>
>>Seconded.
>
>Consider this request thirded. :-)

Fourthed.  (Aack!  No!  No Forth!  No Cobol!  No Ada!  ::thwack::)

If you need any help getting it put up, contact me through E-mail.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
... s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

UD156844@NDSUVM1.BITNET (03/22/90)

Greetings,

  You can add me to the growing list of people requesting UNIX, any information
on how i can aquire the code would be appreciated. Please e-mail me direct.

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Alvarez