[comp.sys.cbm] WTERMITE assistance needed

cscon107@uoft02.utoledo.edu (03/13/90)

Greetings,
   I recently downloaded WTERMITE from an FTP site.  I have a few (stupid)
questions about it, since it came with no documentation:

   F5 & F7  toggles  B & C.  What does B and C stand for?
   When I type a colon (and a couple of others), a funky character pops up
      instead.

Thanks for any help.
David

bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com (Badger BA 64810) (03/14/90)

In article <85.25fb8659@uoft02.utoledo.edu> cscon107@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
>Greetings,
>   I recently downloaded WTERMITE from an FTP site.  I have a few (stupid)
>questions about it, since it came with no documentation:
>
>   F5 & F7  toggles  B & C.  What does B and C stand for?
>   When I type a colon (and a couple of others), a funky character pops up
>      instead.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>David
I just downloaded it myself, so these are just guesses based on a few minites
use.

F5 and F7 toggle text buffers, I think.

The keyboard is mapped to an extended European character set.  ':' produces
an o with umlaut.  You will find a real colon as SHIFT-'+', if I recall.
A little experimentation should find what you want.  Perhaps someone could
post a full set.

----
Bernard A. Badger Jr.	407/984-6385 |"Get a LIFE!" --- J.H. Conway
bbadger@x102c.ess.harris.com         |Buddy, can you paradigm?
bbadger%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com |'s/./&&/g' Tom sed expansively.

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/20/90)

In article <85.25fb8659@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, cscon107@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> Greetings,
>    I recently downloaded WTERMITE from an FTP site.  I have a few (stupid)
> questions about it, since it came with no documentation:
>
>    F5 & F7  toggles  B & C.  What does B and C stand for?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> David

F5 toggles between buffer open (when 'B' is displayed) and buffer
close (when 'B' is not displayed).
I don't know about F7 though.

In article <13471.26052e73@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
> In article <85.25fb8659@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, cscon107@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
>> Greetings,
>>    I recently downloaded WTERMITE from an FTP site.  I have a few (stupid)
>> questions about it, since it came with no documentation:
>>
>>    F5 & F7  toggles  B & C.  What does B and C stand for?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>> David
>
> F5 toggles between buffer open (when 'B' is displayed) and buffer
> close (when 'B' is not displayed).
> I don't know about F7 though.

Well, now I know what F7 is for. F7 toggles between upper-case letters
(when 'C' is displayed) and low-case letters (when 'C' is not displayed).
You may be asking, why is that feature necessary when we already have
<SHIFT-LOCK>? Well when typing letters there is no difference between
having the <SHIFT-LOCK> pressed or having F7 set to upper-case. However,
when typing numbers (or other characters besides letters), a
<SHIFT-LOCK> will type whatever <SHIFT> of that number might be
(for '1' is '!', for '2' is '"', etc). With F7 set to upper-case,
number keys will still type numbers. A nice feature if you need to
type something that has capital letters and numbers like programming
codes.

There are two other function keys in WTERMITE that are very useful.

F6 (which a <SHIFT> F5) toggles between linefeed (when 'L' is displayed)
and no linefeed (when 'L' is not displayed). On some bulletin boards
you will be needing to set the linefeed or else all the text will be
displayed in one line, one after the other. If you see two lines
being scrolled up each time  you press RETURN that means you don't
need linefeed.

F3 resets the clock (that is displayed on the upper right-hand corner)
to zero and begins a new count right after you type any letter.

some character that has been changed:
:  --> shifted plus
;  --> shifted minus
@  --> the pound sign
to find other keys, try some experimentation

<ESC>  --> <CTRL> and the semicolon-key

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

cscon107@uoft02.utoledo.edu (03/22/90)

[...interesting stuff about WTERMITE deleted...]

All the info about WTERMITE is really helpful.  Thanks.  Just
how much faster is it than KERMIT.  I have a 1200 baud modem,
so it's already kind of slow.  Since I have only recently began
using WTERMITE (XMODEM), I haven't yet checked or noticed a
difference.