[comp.sys.cbm] Disk Mail Archive Server News

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (03/12/90)

I have added a new volume to the Disk Mail Archive Server titled "sids" which
is indeed for sid songs. I'd like to see some original works in there, so start
submitting!

I am also considering adding a section especially for .mac files, if there is
enugh supporort from the netters, I will do so. The same holds true for .r
files. I put digiplayer2 in the music section, but there are currently no raw
files and since I am getting rid of my Qlink subscription I won't be able to
add them. So I ask that some of the netters contribute some to the server. I
will supply all I have to offer in there, but it does need contributions. So
please do so, if you need help on usage of the server send mail to me (the
server address) titled...
Subject: Mail-Archive-Request

And in the body of your message use the command "help" on a blank line and
send it (thats all that need be done). There is an additional help file now
also. Type..
help content
And the server will send you EVERY contents file in the archive. Notice that it
is content and NOT contents.

Thats all for now, but I would like to see some more original stuff in all of
the groups. The sid section is nicely packed and will get larger as I have time
to upload more sids. There are somee other new files, I will post info later on
them. Adios...

Byron Guernsey (c/o Disk Mail Archive Server - specter@disk.UUCP

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/21/90)

In article <1782@disk.UUCP>, specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
> I have added a new volume to the Disk Mail Archive Server titled "sids" which
> is indeed for sid songs. I'd like to see some original works in there, so start
> submitting!
>
> I am also considering adding a section especially for .mac files, if there is
> enugh supporort from the netters, I will do so. The same holds true for .r
> files. I put digiplayer2 in the music section, but there are currently no raw
> files and since I am getting rid of my Qlink subscription I won't be able to
> add them. So I ask that some of the netters contribute some to the server. I
> will supply all I have to offer in there, but it does need contributions. So
> Thats all for now, but I would like to see some more original stuff in all of
> the groups. The sid section is nicely packed and will get larger as I have time
> to upload more sids. There are somee other new files, I will post info later on
> them. Adios...
>
> Byron Guernsey (c/o Disk Mail Archive Server - specter@disk.UUCP
>                                       ||     uunet!disk!specter

Has anyone been able to access this mail-server successfully?
I have already sent several E-mails requesting a list of contents of
different section but there is no reply back. I believe I had entered
everything correctly since I access UX-Maxe mail-server often.
I also sent an E-mail to the moderator but no response.
It is my guess that my E-mails simply aren't getting through, but
I am not sure.

Scott.

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (03/22/90)

In article <13475.2606d484@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>Has anyone been able to access this mail-server successfully?
>I have already sent several E-mails requesting a list of contents of
>different section but there is no reply back. I believe I had entered
>everything correctly since I access UX-Maxe mail-server often.
>I also sent an E-mail to the moderator but no response.
>It is my guess that my E-mails simply aren't getting through, but
>I am not sure.
>
>Scott.

 Hi Scott.  Yes, I have used the Disk Mail Server, though it did work
a tad bit different than Alex's.  Byron's made me include a path for
returning what I requested, but other than that, I had no problems.
(Alex's didn't need the path.)

        Daryl Turner
          <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (03/23/90)

In article <13475.2606d484@max.u.washington.edu>, scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:

> Has anyone been able to access this mail-server successfully?
> I have already sent several E-mails requesting a list of contents of
> different section but there is no reply back. I believe I had entered
> everything correctly since I access UX-Maxe mail-server often.
> I also sent an E-mail to the moderator but no response.
> It is my guess that my E-mails simply aren't getting through, but
> I am not sure.
>
> Scott.

I have gotten through sucessfully (grin). I haven't even received a request or
mail message from you Scott. Try going through rutgers if your path can lead
through there. Try sending it to rutgers!corpane!disk!specter (if you can make
it to rutgers, it will get here- i have to use that pathway when requesting from
UXV-Server) Also, it may be important to set your path with the path command.
You probably know this, but it is especially important since I now attempt to
extract your path from the "from " line at the beginning of the mail message. I
replaced the Return-Path: with this, but I will be putting Return-Path: back in,
in addition to having the from and path commands. So the order of precedence is
something like... 1) from (set by the mail program)  2) Return-Path: (also set
by the mailer-sometimes) 3) path command. The 1st seems to help ALOT when people
without return-path Do Not set their path- it takes the long drawn out path at
the start of all mail messages (But this can be an incorrect path alot of the
time because of forwarding and such) Also, if anyone else has any path
problems, try to send mail, then if I do not reply soon, post your grievance
here and I will attempt to check your message's return path and reply with a
path that may work for you. (Note the use of may..) The sids that were uploaded
to an ftp site were also sent to the Disk Mail server and I just recently got
them all put in (Our system truncates filenames and many of the filesnames were
too long) And finally if someone does get the "Unix" program for 128, submit a
copy to the server.

Byron Guernsey

--
/ /  \/   /\  /_/  \_| |-------------------| |   / |The Legendary City of Frore|