[comp.sys.cbm] Basic Prg

mark.fortier@canremote.uucp (MARK FORTIER) (02/16/90)

What is a good load address to start a basic program at, so it doesn'T
take up as much memory???  Thanx.

Mark
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1  AQ BBS...at the edge of innovation!!
 ~ RNet 1.04U: NorthAmeriNet - AQ BBS Cobourg Ont. 416-372-2427

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/10/90)

In article <90030820244630@masnet.uucp> mark.fortier@canremote.uucp (MARK FORTIER) writes:
>What is a good load address to start a basic program at, so it doesn'T
>take up as much memory???  Thanx.
>
>Mark
>---
> * Via ProDoor 3.1  AQ BBS...at the edge of innovation!!
> ~ RNet 1.04U: NorthAmeriNet - AQ BBS Cobourg Ont. 416-372-2427

Well, 2048 is a good location, the locations before that are usually
taken up by a lot of system functions...  You might be able to get a
couple of bytes extra at the beginning...  You might want to take at
the Commodore 64 Programmers Reference Guide...

-Dino Khoe

Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (03/10/90)

In article <3934@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>In article <90030820244630@masnet.uucp> mark.fortier@canremote.uucp (MARK FORTIER) writes:
>>What is a good load address to start a basic program at, so it doesn'T
>>take up as much memory???  Thanx.
>Well, 2048 is a good location, the locations before that are usually
>taken up by a lot of system functions...  You might be able to get a
>couple of bytes extra at the beginning...  You might want to take at
>the Commodore 64 Programmers Reference Guide...

If you want to get as much memory for BASIC, you can relocate the
Screen Memory to the RAM at $C000 and add 1K of extra memory by
lowering the Basic Bottom to $0400.  You might even get away by using
up the tape buffer memory too if you use a tape.  Adding more memory
for BASIC, besides that is rather difficult.  And, frankly, adding
1.5K of memory is hardly worth the trouble...

Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu%skat@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!edu

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (03/23/90)

In article <90030820244630@masnet.uucp> mark.fortier@canremote.uucp (MARK FORTIER) writes:
>What is a good load address to start a basic program at, so it doesn'T
>take up as much memory???  Thanx.
>
>Mark
>---
> * Via ProDoor 3.1  AQ BBS...at the edge of innovation!!
> ~ RNet 1.04U: NorthAmeriNet - AQ BBS Cobourg Ont. 416-372-2427

There is a program (can't remember its name) which relocates BASIC ROM to
start at $B000 (45056) instead of $A000 (40960), giving you the extra 4K
of space available for basic programs.  As long as you're not using the
space at $C000 (49152), this will give you more room.

Nick
"Pretend the water is champagne, and fill my glass again and again"