[comp.sys.cbm] Does the 64 autoboot?

shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) (03/16/90)

Is there anyway to make the 64 autoboot off a 1541, 1571, or a 1581 thru
hardware (or drive software) modification?  (Using a regular 64 not a 128)..

                                Thanks In advance,
                                       Glo

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/16/90)

The only way I know of is to purchase a special cartrige that makes it
autoboot.  You'd have to check some commodore magazines and see.

"Never Underestimate the Power of Human Stupidity" - Robert A. Heinlein.

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

onymouse@netcom.UUCP (John Debert) (03/16/90)

in article <1990Mar15.213646.4601@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) says:

> Is there anyway to make the 64 autoboot off a 1541, 1571, or a 1581 thru
> hardware (or drive software) modification?  (Using a regular 64 not a 128)..
>
>                                 Thanks In advance,
>                                        Glo

Of course there is! Plug in a card with a boot rom. This is one of the more
common -and practical) methods.

jd
onymouse@netcom.UUCP

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar15.213646.4601@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) writes:
>Is there anyway to make the 64 autoboot off a 1541, 1571, or a 1581 thru
>hardware (or drive software) modification?  (Using a regular 64 not a 128)..
>
>                                Thanks In advance,
>                                       Glo

The C64 always autoboots no matter is a drive is connected or not. But it boots  into the built is BASIC.

You can get PD software that allows you  to autoboot a specific program after loading it.
As far as I know the 128 is the only CBM machine that will autoboot a disk on powerup.

--
... Women pickled in limbo, their legs chalky and their faces slightly twisted, as if they had been knocked into their thirties by a sideways blow.

              John Updike
            Rabbit Is Rich

slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) (03/23/90)

In article <90032211071228@masnet.uucp> david.johnson@canremote.uucp (David Johnson) writes:
>the keyboard buffer is easier.  Check back issues of the Transactor for
>an article which will hold your hand all the way through this process of
>making an autoboot kernal.
>
>David Johnson@canremote.uucp

Does anyone know of which article david is referring to?  And -- would anyone
happen to have this article?  The Transactor is now defunct (to my knowledge)
and ordering a back issue would be difficult to say the least.

Stan

scott@max.u.washington.edu (03/24/90)

In article <1990Mar15.213646.4601@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) writes:
> Is there anyway to make the 64 autoboot off a 1541, 1571, or a 1581 thru
> hardware (or drive software) modification?  (Using a regular 64 not a 128)..
>
>                                 Thanks In advance,
>                                        Glo

Yes, there is a way, and it is called "Quit Brown Box" by
Brown Boxes Inc.
26 Concord Road
Bedford, MA. 01730
(617)275-0090 or
(617)862-3675

The above address and the following description of this cartridge was
obtain from a year old issue of Transactor.

Quick Brown Box is a battery backed RAM for C64 or C128. The Quick
Brown Box cartridges for the C64/C128 retain file even when the cartridge
is unplugged. Unlike EPROM cartriges, the QBB requires no programming or
erasing equipment except your computer. Loader program are supplied and
you can store as many programs into the cartridge as its memory
will allow. It may even be used as a non-volatile RAM disk. Auto-start
programs are supported, such as BBS program and software monitoring
systems that need to re-boot after a power failure. All models come
with a RESET push button and use low current CMOS RAM powered by a
160 mA-Hr Lithium cell with an estimated life of 7 to 10 years.
It is availabe in 16k, 32k, and 64k bytes.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

david.johnson@canremote.uucp (David Johnson) (03/25/90)

If you have access to an eprom burner you can take out a bunch of the
cassette code in the kernal and then add a jump in the restart sequence
to autoboot the first program or use the autoboot sequence (track1/0)
but having the computer just poke a load":*",8,1:[shifted]runstop into
the keyboard buffer is easier.  Check back issues of the Transactor for
an article which will hold your hand all the way through this process of
making an autoboot kernal.

David Johnson@canremote.uucp
Track 36 C128 Librarian
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1a
 ~ QNet 2.02: Track 36 BBS The Commodore Support Group (416)-549-1916

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (03/26/90)

That makes me wonder if the SX-64 has that cassette RAM freed up already.
The SX-64 has no cassette plug because it has a 1541 built in. Does anyone know
 if that's a correct assumption?