[comp.sys.cbm] Birthdays of CBM machines?

c8923075@cc.nu.oz (03/29/90)

    Now for a topic dear to all of our hearts...

    When will the tenth anniversary of the premier
commercial release of the VIC-20 be ? (and the 64?)
    ...Should be happening soon, and I don't want
to miss it.

    If you do know then please post it - I'm sure
that a clear majority of this newsgroups readers
would be interested.

C.Baird - Proto BSc student,
	  Uni of Newcastle (Aust).

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (03/29/90)

In article <12115.2611f71e@cc.nu.oz> c8923075@cc.nu.oz writes:

>    Now for a topic dear to all of our hearts...
>
>    When will the tenth anniversary of the premier
>commercial release of the VIC-20 be ? (and the 64?)
>    ...Should be happening soon, and I don't want
>to miss it.
>
>    If you do know then please post it - I'm sure
>that a clear majority of this newsgroups readers
>would be interested.

I think we missed it -- didn't the Vic 20 and C-64 come out in 1979?

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (03/30/90)

In article <5598@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:
| In article <12115.2611f71e@cc.nu.oz> c8923075@cc.nu.oz writes:
| >    When will the tenth anniversary of the premier
| >commercial release of the VIC-20 be ? (and the 64?)
| >    ...Should be happening soon, and I don't want
| >to miss it.
|
| I think we missed it -- didn't the Vic 20 and C-64 come out in 1979?

I think the VIC-20 did, but the C64 came out in 1981.

- Mike
--

alpert@chovax.dec.com (Enemy of the State) (03/30/90)

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes...
>I think the VIC-20 did, but the C64 came out in 1981.

I thought it might have been a little later than that, like around 1982. I
bought mine when it first came out, paid 599.00 for the system box and
399.95 for the disk drive!  Anyone else out there pay 1000 bucks for
their C64 system?  Believe it or not, it was pretty much a bargain
at the time!  Both of my original pieces were replaced several years
ago when Commodore had a flat-rate trade-in policy for malfunctioning
units.  My old white-case 1541 used to overheat severely...

  Bob Alpert       { alpert@chovax.dec.com            }  Suspicion breeds
  DEC              { ...!decwrl!chovax.dec.com!alpert }  confidence.
  Cherry Hill, NJ  { alpert%chovax.dec@decwrl.dec.com }

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (03/30/90)

In article <5598@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU writes:
>In article <12115.2611f71e@cc.nu.oz> c8923075@cc.nu.oz writes:
>>
>>    When will the tenth anniversary of the premier
>>commercial release of the VIC-20 be ? (and the 64?)
>>    ...Should be happening soon, and I don't want
>>to miss it.
>
>I think we missed it -- didn't the Vic 20 and C-64 come out in 1979?

The PET was launched in 1977, the VIC20 in 1981, and the C64 in 1982.  The
products were each "announced" about a year previous to their "launch".

Other product introductions were: B-series and SX64 in 1983, PLUS/4 in 1984,
and C128 in 1985.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				domain:	fred@cbmvax.commodore.com
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380