[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm and other programs for 64 & 128

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/09/90)

In article <AHM#X{+@rpi.edu> myers@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert P Myers) writes:
>I DO NOT KNOW my legal stance in posting Desterm v1.02 in an FTPable area.

   As a contributing author to DesTerm, I can assure you that there are
no legal problems whatsoever in your making DesTerm available. I would,
however, ask that you make sure that it is provided in the exact form
that Matt and I put it together (i.e. the one ARC file with all of the
files inside it). We have heard of many sites separating the docs from
the executables and, as much as we appreciate the convenience this may
offer those trying to unpack it on a single 1541, you must strive to
image the hassle it creates for us when people from all over as us
questions which are answered in the docs; the standard 'RTFM' response
prompts a 'What manual? There was no manual where I got it from'
outrage.

   The problem is that those downloading DesTerm in two or more parts
don't always upload all the parts of it, resulting in mass confusion.

>This file Arced is 113k so you will need a disk for it and a work
>disk for Dearcing.

   Not necessarily. Those with proper de-ARCing tools (i.e. I know
Chris Smeets' code will do this) can unARC as many files as will fit
on a single 1541, copy them off (using a single-disk copier) and go
back to unARC the other files by listing them to the unARC tool.

   DesTerm 128 was designed to appeal to the C128 'power user', and
Matt and I are suprised - and more than a little amused - at the
number of C128 owners out there who indicate that they're running
off a single 1541 drive.

>Also Available: Unix!(downloaded from milton site) This is in the FTP
>directory, under the Unix 128 directory (i.e. cd ~myers/FTP/Unix128)

   Not all of us have access to Internet lines; is this stuff
available through a mail archive server?

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.