[comp.sys.cbm] How do I connect a parallel printer?

jph@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (joseph.p.haggerty) (04/12/90)

I have been offered a Qume ProPrinter 20 (Centronics parallel interface, daisy
wheel) printer at an attractive price, but I don't know how to connect it to my
C-128.  I have heard about "interface cards" and a "geoPrint cable" (from
Berkeley Softworks but out of production).  The interface cards seem to convert
between Centronics parallel and the Commodore serial bus, but they cost as much
as the printer!  Is the Berkley cable just a wire--something that I could
fabricate myself?  Does anybody have any idea which GEOS driver would work?

			Joe Haggerty
			AT&T Bell Laboratories, Whippany, NJ
			[attunix!]whamr!jph

scott@max.u.washington.edu (04/13/90)

In article <5094@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, jph@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (joseph.p.haggerty) writes:
> I have been offered a Qume ProPrinter 20 (Centronics parallel interface, daisy
> wheel) printer at an attractive price, but I don't know how to connect it to my
> C-128.  I have heard about "interface cards" and a "geoPrint cable" (from
> Berkeley Softworks but out of production).  The interface cards seem to convert
> between Centronics parallel and the Commodore serial bus, but they cost as much
> as the printer!  Is the Berkley cable just a wire--something that I could
> fabricate myself?  Does anybody have any idea which GEOS driver would work?
>
>                       Joe Haggerty
>                       AT&T Bell Laboratories, Whippany, NJ
>                       [attunix!]whamr!jph

"geoPrint cable" basically a straight cable that connects your C64/C128 to the
printer through the user-port. Since this is a direct parallel connection, the
printing of graphics is twice as fast. However, it only works with GEOS. Since
your printer is not capable of any graphics, I dought that you would
want to use it with GEOS.
Your best bet therefore is to buy the printer interface. Just think of it
this way, buying one interface will allows you to use your C128 with
any popular printer! (well almost all).

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (04/14/90)

In article <5094@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> jph@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (joseph.p.haggerty) writes:
>I have been offered a Qume ProPrinter 20 (Centronics parallel interface, daisy
>wheel) printer at an attractive price, but I don't know how to connect it to my
>C-128.  I have heard about "interface cards" and a "geoPrint cable" (from
>Berkeley Softworks but out of production).  The interface cards seem to convert
>between Centronics parallel and the Commodore serial bus, but they cost as much
>as the printer!  Is the Berkley cable just a wire--something that I could

Alot has to happen to get from C= serial (which is actually a hack of IEEE) to
standard parallel. I recommend the HotShot Parallel interface by Omnitronix.
It will support all drivers and has a variety of software built it in case you
want to utilize a parallel graphics printer. Last I hard the retail price was
$59.95, but many mail order stores offer them for $15-20 less.
Check with Tenex Computer Express for their prices.
>fabricate myself?  Does anybody have any idea which GEOS driver would work?

 Any Geos driver that supoorts a daisy wheel printer should work.

--
David Daniel (The man with two sites)
tronix@polari.uucp tronix@eskimo.uucp

   "When I drive a cab I am moved by strange whistles and wear a hat." Lew Welch