[comp.sys.cbm] HART - an 8250 UART for the C64/128

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/09/90)

   I recently received the following notice, along with a request
to repost it here. I have redirected replies to the author's
address. For sites not supporting this, the author's address is
Marv_Shelton@f919.n107.z1.fidonet.org.

-----
                                 HART
             HATRONICS Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter
                       Programmers Information

I_N_T_R_O_D_U_C_T_I_O_N_:_

    As a recognized author of Commodore Telecommunications software,
HATRONICS is enlisting your interest and skills in an effort to
provide software support for its upcoming hardware peripheral the
HART Interface.

    Accompanying documentation is provided for you in the hope that
you will include software support for the HART in the next
version/release of your CBM telecommunications program.  We at
HATRONICS believe that the HART interface will provide a capability
long lacking from the 8-bit CBM computer family, independent hardware
based hi-speed telecommunications capability.  The HART interface
overcomes all of the limitations of the RS-232 port software
implementation currently available in CBM computers.  It allows the
CBM computers (with the help of appropriate software) to realize the
types of high speed telecommunications data transmissions that other
PC users have become accustomed to.

R_E_S_P_O_N_S_I_B_I_L_I_T_I_E_S_:_

    Interested programmers of the HART interface are required to:

1.  sign a nondisclosure agreement concerning proprietary HART
    hardware design information.
2.  provide HATRONICS (at no cost) with a copy of the latest
    version/revision of the software program to which they intend to
    add HART interface support.
3.  participate in a CONFIDENTIAL HATRONICS electronic mail
    conference for the exchange of information, ideas, and support
    between HATRONICS and other HART programmers.
4.  include appropriate advertising of HART interface support, in
    their respective programs' advertising and distributed
    information.

B_E_C_O_M_I_N_G_ _A_ _M_E_M_B_E_R_ _O_F_ _T_H_E_ _H_A_R_T_ _T_E_A_M_!_

    Interested programmers should address a letter of interest to:

                              HATRONICS
                           c/o Marv Shelton
                            121 Burt Drive
                          Roselle, NJ 07203

    Or, address a e-mail message to:

                             Marv Shelton
             The MICRO ROOM BBS [FIDOnet node 1:107/919]
                         (201) 245-6614 data
                   8N1 - 300/1200/2400/9600hst baud
                      24hrs daily, 7 days a week

A_D_D_I_T_I_O_N_A_L_ _I_N_F_O_R_M_A_T_I_O_N_:

    Upon receipt of a message/letter of interest, HATRONICS will
contact you, the programmer and review your interest and level of
programming expertise.  If accepted as a HART programmer, you will be
provided with a prototype HART interface for program development
purposes, and given further information as to how to obtain support
from HATTRONICS.  Please note that the prototype HART interface shall
REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF HATRONICS and be returned immediately upon
demand!

C_L_O_S_I_N_G_ _C_O_M_M_E_N_T_S_:_

    We at HATRONICS are hoping to develop several programming ideas
which will utilize the unique capabilities of the HART interface,
among them are:

    o    the development of high speed terminal and bbs programs
         which support various file transmission protocols not
         presently supported in the CBM computer world.
    o    the development of control programs for various RS-232
         devices at speeds up to and in excess of 19.2K baud.
    o    the development of hardwire fast serial transfer programs
         between CBM computers and PC compatibles.
    o    utilization of CBM computers as RS-232 based LAN
         workstations.
-----

   I must emphasize that I am in no way associated with HATRONICS nor
am I in any official capacity linked with Marv or this device. I am
merely passing on, at Marv's request, this information.

   Geoff

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (04/12/90)

In comp.sys.cbm article <1990Apr9.164844.24058@xenitec.on.ca>, Marv_Shelton@f919.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Marv Shelton) wrote:
:   I recently received the following notice, along with a request
:to repost it here. I have redirected replies to the author's
:address. For sites not supporting this, the author's address is
:Marv_Shelton@f919.n107.z1.fidonet.org.

How many people have responded to this?  (I responded but have not yet
gotten a return receipt; I would guess that uwm.edu has again eaten my
off-site mail just like it eats most of the rest of it).

Kent / Ray (of Kermit fame), are you considering supporting this?  I'd
*LOVE* it if Kermit supported 2400 baud on a 64 (I'm running a B.I.-80 so
there's no reason it shouldn't handle it).

I myself am Very Interested but don't know if I fall into the desired
category:  I'm a software developer but my package is not available yet (and
perhaps may never be, with progress and all).

... Joe

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (04/15/90)

In article <7145@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:
>In comp.sys.cbm article <1990Apr9.164844.24058@xenitec.on.ca>, Marv_Shelton@f919.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Marv Shelton) wrote:
>:   I recently received the following notice, along with a request
>:to repost it here. I have redirected replies to the author's
>:address. For sites not supporting this, the author's address is
>:Marv_Shelton@f919.n107.z1.fidonet.org.
>

>How many people have responded to this?  (I responded but have not yet
>gotten a return receipt; I would guess that uwm.edu has again eaten my
>off-site mail just like it eats most of the rest of it).
>
>Kent / Ray (of Kermit fame), are you considering supporting this?  I'd
>*LOVE* it if Kermit supported 2400 baud on a 64 (I'm running a B.I.-80 so
>there's no reason it shouldn't handle it).

Well, no, to be honest.  The reason is that we have our own cartridge just
about out the door.  Of course we are going to support it! :-)  A friend
of mine and I hacked around on Kermit (Ray has been tied up lately) and we
could do 2400 bps via Kermit on a C-64 reliably, and get this, 9600 bps with
just a few problems.  No kidding!  I'm sure it will work reliably once Ray
has time to do things properly.

I'd better not say more 'cuz it will look like I am advertising a commercial
item on the net.  If anyone wants more info, send me mail.  We are working
with a number of software developers, too--if you want in on the fun, let me
know.

>I myself am Very Interested but don't know if I fall into the desired
>category:  I'm a software developer but my package is not available yet (and
>perhaps may never be, with progress and all).

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation (real job)
Dr. Evil Labs (artificial job)

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.