[comp.sys.cbm] C64 as printer buffer

unhd (Jonathan W Miner) (05/03/90)

I recently replaced my old C64 with a new 286 clone.  I'm using the same
printer (a Centronics GLP).  What I would like to do is write software
that would turn the C64 into a printer buffer.  Anybody have any ideas?
I'm not worried about the actual code, I can handle that.

Jon Miner                       | Plan? You mean I need a plan?
Rt 4 Box 62 Jewett Rd.          |
Hopkinton NH 03229              | I thought that I would just wing it!
(603) 224-8676                  |

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (05/03/90)

In comp.sys.cbm article <1990May2.234250.2626@uunet!unhd>, jwm770@unhd.unh.edu.UUCP (Jonathan W Miner) wrote:
:I recently replaced my old C64 with a new 286 clone.  I'm using the same
:printer (a Centronics GLP).  What I would like to do is write software
:that would turn the C64 into a printer buffer.  Anybody have any ideas?
:I'm not worried about the actual code, I can handle that.

Not terribly difficult, except for one consideration:  there is only one
readily accessible parallel port on the 64 - the user port.  This means
either a hardware kludge to provide two ports from one, add a second port
on the expansion slot, or (most elegant but untried) remove the keyboard and
gain TWO parallel ports (total of three) :-)

The most I've done along any of these lines is using a 64 as a "Centronics
Parallel" to "CBM Serial" translator.  I'll testify that the code isn't
hard, if you have a book in front of you that details Centronics handshaking
and pinouts.

I'd probably go for the keyboardless option.  Pop a ROM cart. in the
expansion slot and you have the only print buffer on the block with a VIDEO
DISPLAY (consider the possibilities.)

... Joe "I've used a 64 for lesser things" Greco

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May2.234250.2626@uunet!unhd> jwm770@unhd.unh.edu.UUCP (Jonathan W Miner) writes:
>I recently replaced my old C64 with a new 286 clone.  I'm using the same
>printer (a Centronics GLP).  What I would like to do is write software
>that would turn the C64 into a printer buffer.  Anybody have any ideas?

Off the top of my head, here's how I see it working...

Use the serial (RS-232) port of the clone as printer output via null modem
interface to the 64. The 64 software must act like a printer here, i.e. flow
control must be present.

The text would then be sent out the 64 serial (IEEE type circular output) via
printer interface to the printer. Here
your software must act like a WP.

If you have access to Speedscript source that might be the easiest hack.

--
David Daniel (The man with no disclaimers) tronix@polari.UUCP

"When I drive a cab I am moved by strange whistles and wear a hat."  Lew Welch

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (05/07/90)

[..... redundant stuff deleted for brevity.....]
>Not terribly difficult, except for one consideration:  there is only one
>readily accessible parallel port on the 64 - the user port.  This means

Not true. The User Port of the 64 is an RS-232 (ala CBM) I/O port.
--

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (05/07/90)

In comp.sys.cbm article <1976@polari.UUCP>, tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) wrote:
:>Not terribly difficult, except for one consideration:  there is only one
:>readily accessible parallel port on the 64 - the user port.  This means
:
:Not true. The User Port of the 64 is an RS-232 (ala CBM) I/O port.

I'd start disclaiming that statement; it's just not true.

The user port on PET/CBM/VIC/64/128 machines has traditionally been a
parallel 8-bit bidirectional I/O port.  On the VIC and I believe the PET
machines, this is implemented as a 6522 VIA.  On the 64 this is implemented
as a 6526 CIA.  Read the chip documentation; it'll tell you: "Parallel I/O".

Commodore, however, decided to add a little more functionality to the user
port on the VIC and (later) the 64.  They added software that allowed a
parallel port to mimic a logic level RS232 port.  This is one of the main
reasons that it was not implemented as a true RS232 port - you'd lose the
functionality of the User Port.

If you've seen some of the earlier parallel printer interfaces, they consist
of a specialized cable from the user port directly to a Centronics
connector.

In summary:  User Port is Parallel.  It just mimics serial.

... Joe