[comp.sys.cbm] Indus GT drive for the c64

feinberg@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (john a feinberg) (06/06/90)

Awhile ago, I posted asking what power supply you needed to run an Indus GT
drive.  Well, no-one answered, so I took a chance and tried a twelve-volt.  Lo
and behold, it worked!  In fact, the Indus drive works so well, I would re-
commend it *above* the 1541.  This comes from someone with 3 1541s that has been
using them for years.  This GT drive survived the 5 mile *bike* ride from the
yard sale to my house, being dropped several times while I moved into my dorm
room, and also whatever happened to it before the yard sale (it looked pretty
battered).  Anyhow, it works just fine with my speeder cartridge (it's the
one that speeds loading, saving, 'cracks' games, and prints screens; I don't
remember what it's called.  It's from Holland, and it's blue).  Actually, it
seems to go a little faster than the 1541.  PLUS (this is the biggie, for you
hacks out there) there's a little LED display that shows you what track the
drive's on!  That's my favorite part.  There's also switches on the back for
changing the device number, and a button on the front for turning the protection
(as sensed whether the tab has been punched) on and off.  And, if there's an
error, you can push a button, and the drive will tell you the error number on
the LED, rather than the track.  All in all, a *very* impressive device.  If you
ever see one lying around for a good price, pick it up!  I'm almost positive
they stopped making them quite a while ago.

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo

scott@max.u.washington.edu (06/08/90)

In article <27614@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, feinberg@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (john a feinberg) writes:
> Awhile ago, I posted asking what power supply you needed to run an Indus GT
> drive.  Well, no-one answered, so I took a chance and tried a twelve-volt.  Lo
> and behold, it worked!  In fact, the Indus drive works so well, I would re-
> commend it *above* the 1541. en
...[descriptin omitted].....

> John Feinberg
> SUNY Buffalo

Good going...
sound like a terrific drive.....but going back to your original
question, usually the power requirement of a equipment is written
somewhere outside the casing. Check the underside of the drive
for any info like that (if you hadn't done so already). Also
this information is sometimes written on the circuit board inside
near where the power supply lines are connected.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen