[comp.sys.cbm] Which cartridge??

warren@col.hp.com (Mr. T) (06/08/90)

       There is a question which I'm sure many others have,
and that is, "Which is the best fastloader/utility cartridge?".
I have seen ads for many, and they all seem to think they are the best,
(of course) but I would like to get users opinions.  E-mail or post,
I will post the results so others can benefit.  Here are some of
the choices:

	JiffyDOS V6.0      Rom change, many different disk drives,
	 C64  1dr $59.95   64mode function keys, 2 drive copier,
	 C128 1dr $69.95   DOS commands, ...
	 extra dr's $29.95

	Epyx Fastload      T&S editor, moderate speed up, file copier
	$25 (SSI)

	Mach 5	           Speed up, Like Epyx??
	$22.95 (LYCO)

	Action Replay 5.0  Load/save speed up, Freeze program/monitor,
	$64.95		   Sprite killer, compactor, disk utilities,
			   LSI ic based ...

        Super Cart
	Explode V.5	   Fast load/save, Hi-res operation, Color
	$44.95		   printing, DOS wedge, screen capture ...

	Super Snapshot V4  15x Load, Screen dumps, freeze,
	$64.95		   unprotect ...

	Final Cart III	   Desktop accesory, function keys, fast
	$49 (Briwall)      load, Freezer, Pop-up calculator, windows

	Warpspeed 128/64   Speed up, ???
	$35 (Briwall)

	As you can see, there are many choices in a wide price
range, and I am confused.  Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

					Thanks!
Warren Tustin
warren@hp-col.hp.com

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (06/11/90)

In <16200001@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Mr. T) writes:

->
->        There is a question which I'm sure many others have,
-> and that is, "Which is the best fastloader/utility cartridge?".
-> I have seen ads for many, and they all seem to think they are the best,
-> (of course) but I would like to get users opinions.  E-mail or post,
-> I will post the results so others can benefit.  Here are some of
-> the choices:

I was just going to ask this question, actually. I have an old Final
Cartridge, I think revision 1, and it sucks.... not very compatible
with a lot of things, and sometimes its saved files won't load at all.

Being that I have a 128, I'm curious about the analogues to 64 speed
up cartridges.... people seem to advertise some kind of ROM that goes
in the 128 and gives you things like pop-up terminals and whatnot. Any
clues as to whether this is recommended, worthwhile, and which ones
are which?

Thanks for the advice onthe 128D by the way. After only a few minor
hassles in finding things like cords to hook it up to my 1084, I'm
pretty happy with it (and itching to get back on Qlink so's I can
catchup with the rest of the 8-bit world, there's an awful lot of new
stuff like GEOS applications and BASIC 8 that I missed in the last
three years).
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

           Throw out your gold teeth and see how they roll;
               the answer they reveal: life is unreal.

mcross@blublaze.sw.stratus.com (Matt Cross) (06/11/90)

In article <16200001@col.hp.com>, warren@col.hp.com (Mr. T) writes:

|>       There is a question which I'm sure many others have,
|>and that is, "Which is the best fastloader/utility cartridge?".
|>I have seen ads for many, and they all seem to think they are the best,
|>(of course) but I would like to get users opinions.  E-mail or post,
|>I will post the results so others can benefit.  Here are some of
|>the choices:

I had the second version of the final cartridge, and it was a nice
package, a little buggy on the displays here and there, but I liked it -
the only thing I didn't like about it is that when you 'froze'
something, you could only re-load it if you had the cartridge.  I
understand version 3 has fixed this, but I'm not sure. [which is a pain,
because I have a couple of 'frozen' things, but I let a friend borrow
the cartridge, and he moved... :( ]
I currently use the Fastload cartridge, and I really like the sector
editor on it.  It's really easy to use, and is generally a good utility
cartridge.  I've gotten so that I can read directories in the sector editor.

po87553@ampeeri.tut.fi (Pasi "Albert" Ojala) (06/14/90)

In article <16200001@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Mr. T) writes:

>       There is a question which I'm sure many others have,
>and that is, "Which is the best fastloader/utility cartridge?".
>	Action Replay 5.0  Load/save speed up, Freeze program/monitor,
>	$64.95		   Sprite killer, compactor, disk utilities,
>			   LSI ic based ...

  I have this cartridge and can recommend it to all.. It is quite easy to use
(after you read instructions) and has many varied operations.
The machine code monitor is the best I have seen, loading and saving
(and format) is boosted up to an amazing speed.. These turbos know
all about 1571 and 1581 and can use many drives simultaniously.
You can copy whole disks, or files as you choose. Verify may be on or off.
  You can freeze a program, look at the screen (for example) and then
return to it exactly where you were.. You can pack the whole memory and
save it to disk (or tape, this module can use tape as well..)
  There is also a sprite-show-mode where you can look at the sprites,
multicolored or not, change colors, erase,flip,mirror,inverse ..

  I wonder how could I ever get along without it..

  btw, version 6 is on the market, but the changes are quite small..

>Warren Tustin
>warren@hp-col.hp.com

Pasi Ojala         / | | |_) |_ |_)  |
po87553@tut.fi    /--| | |_) |_ |\   |