[comp.sys.cbm] Battery for the Commodore?

rjhall@CIE.UOREGON.EDU (06/13/90)

I have a Commodore-128 and a question.  Some computer consultant at my mom's
office told her that Commodores have internal batteries that maintain their
chips, and that if you don't replace the battery in your Commodore before it
wears out, the chips fizzle and the computer becomes permanently useless.
I've never heard anything like this before, but I'm worried, as my computer
is several years old (and seemingly holding up just fine).  My question is,
is this true, and if so what should I do?  Thanks muchly!
------------
R.J. Hall           rjhall@cie.uoregon.edu          Q-Link:  Rjhall
"You'll live to regret it if I have you shot." - Major Neuheim
"Thank you, God!  Thank you so bleeding much!" - Basil Fawlty
"REMEMBER, the Human Body is a wonderful thing, and it deserves
 a decent-sized suitcase." - Dr. Fegg
"Who needs morality?  We have a lawyer!  How convenient!" - Church Lady
(: Expression is copyrighted, but ideas are as free as the air *cough*choke* :)

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (06/13/90)

In comp.sys.cbm article <9006130153.AA01660@cie.uoregon.edu>, rjhall@CIE.UOREGON.EDU wrote:
:I have a Commodore-128 and a question.  Some computer consultant at my mom's
:office told her that Commodores have internal batteries that maintain their
:chips, and that if you don't replace the battery in your Commodore before it
:wears out, the chips fizzle and the computer becomes permanently useless.
:I've never heard anything like this before, but I'm worried, as my computer
:is several years old (and seemingly holding up just fine).  My question is,
:is this true, and if so what should I do?  Thanks muchly!

The only battery that needs replacing around here is the one in your
consultant friend's head.  If it's a NiCad variety, charge by plugging
directly into 120VAC house current.

All we need is drivel like this being propagated.  For the record, chips may
fizzle and chips may fade, but they do so by the will of God and sometimes
by the laws of physics.  They get old enough and hot enough and they fail.
This is not optimal, but is neither guaranteed to happen nor is it related
to any batteries.

:------------
:R.J. Hall           rjhall@cie.uoregon.edu          Q-Link:  Rjhall
:"You'll live to regret it if I have you shot." - Major Neuheim
:"Thank you, God!  Thank you so bleeding much!" - Basil Fawlty
:"REMEMBER, the Human Body is a wonderful thing, and it deserves
: a decent-sized suitcase." - Dr. Fegg
:"Who needs morality?  We have a lawyer!  How convenient!" - Church Lady
:(: Expression is copyrighted, but ideas are as free as the air *cough*choke* :)

... Joe

n8941063@unicorn.WWU.EDU (stevens charles a) (06/13/90)

      Battery in a C128?  That's a new one on me.  I have a C128D and there's
no batteries in it.  I think you were fed a line...

            ...Chaz...

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (06/16/90)

In article <9006130153.AA01660@cie.uoregon.edu> rjhall@CIE.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>office told her that Commodores have internal batteries that maintain their
>chips, and that if you don't replace the battery in your Commodore before it
>wears out, the chips fizzle and the computer becomes permanently useless.

Did you also know, that each chip runs on smoke, and when a chip releases it's
smoke it is no longer useful.  ;-).

Really I hope your Mom's friend was kidding!  Sounds like he's been breathing
chip smoke up your Mom's dress to me!

>R.J. Hall           rjhall@cie.uoregon.edu          Q-Link:  Rjhall

				David Lee Reynolds