[comp.sys.cbm] Battery Powered C64?

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) (06/27/90)

Does anybody know of a way (even if its only theoretical)
to run a normal C64 (not the 64SX or whatever it was) on
battery power? I was thinking maybe a car battery, but
Ni-Cads would be OK if they would work.

I recently read in Radio Electronics Magazine about a
computer controlled lawn mower (dont laugh 8) and
decided to try my luck at building one.  The plands
call for a custom Z80 motherboard, but I figured
my old 64 would do the job nicely if I could solve the
power problem.  Any help out there?  If you respond, Please
use Email. If anyone wants to know, I can summarize to the net.

		Thanks,
		  David Bianco
		  bianco@cs.odu.edu

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (06/30/90)

In article <BIANCO.90Jun27102144@japonica.cs.odu.edu> bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) writes:
>Does anybody know of a way (even if its only theoretical)
>to run a normal C64 (not the 64SX or whatever it was) on
>battery power? I was thinking maybe a car battery, but
>Ni-Cads would be OK if they would work.

	Yes, in theory there are 2 ways you can...

	1).  DC to AC converter will be the easiest, (and most expensive) way.

	2).  Theoretically, you could connect direct supplies, (+5 Vdc & 12 Vdc)
	     to the output of the regulators inside the 64.  The only problem
	     with this option is you will not be able to use the CIA's internal
	     clock for timing, (it uses the 60 cycle from Edison to control the
	     timers), and the user port will also not get it's 12 Vac needed
	     for some interfaces.  (IE Promburners, some C-64 modems etc)...

	For me, option #1 would be the only real easy, (and 100% compatable)
	solution.

>If you respond, Please
>use Email. If anyone wants to know, I can summarize to the net.

	I would have liked to, but I need a complete address to E-mail you.
	(Like !dude!bummer!you).  We don't support backbone addresses at this
	site.  |-(

>		  David Bianco
>		  bianco@cs.odu.edu

				Good Luck,

					David Lee Reynolds
			(zardoz,legs,spsd,oliveb)!felix!reynolds

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (07/04/90)

:
[...]

It's NOT hard to build a squarewave generator to generate a pseudo-AC signal
to drive the CIA's and any user port devices.  It just requires a little
more creative design.  This allows battery operation with a minimal amount
of power waste and a maximized amount of compatibility.

I believe one of the Commodore magazines even had plans for such a power
supply once.

... Joe

Joe Greco - University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee - Department of Mathematics
jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu		USnail: Joe Greco
Voice: 414/321-6184				9905 W. Montana Ave.
Data:  414/321-9287 (Happy Hacker's BBS) 	West Allis, WI  53227-3329
#include <witty_and_humorous_saying.h>
Disclaimer: I don't speak for the Math Department, the University, or myself.