[comp.sys.cbm] How to tell new ROMs C128/1571

warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) (07/07/90)

A quick question.  I'm buying a used C128 and 1571.  How can I tell if they
have updated roms?  Are most of the C128s and 1571s the current revision?
Is there a peek I can do to tell?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Warren Tustin   warren@hp-col.hp.com

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (07/08/90)

In article <16200003@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) writes:
>A quick question.  I'm buying a used C128 and 1571.  How can I tell if they
>have updated roms?  Are most of the C128s and 1571s the current revision?
>Is there a peek I can do to tell?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!

   I never put the new ROMs in my 128, so I can't tell you that.

   After resetting the system, throw a single-sided diskette in the 1571
and ask for the directory. If it takes forever to catch on to the fact
that the diskette is single-sided, then it's an old ROM 1571.

   Confirmation: write a HUGE SEQ file. If, when side 1 is full, every
sector write induces a seek to the BAM track.

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

piskac@ecn.purdue.edu (Robert J. Piskac) (07/09/90)

In article <16200003@col.hp.com>, warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) writes:

> A quick question.  I'm buying a used C128 and 1571.  How can I tell if they
> have updated roms?  Are most of the C128s and 1571s the current revision?
> Is there a peek I can do to tell?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Warren Tustin   warren@hp-col.hp.com

  To find out which version of roms in the C= 128 type this line.

  bank 15 : print peek(dec("7ffe"))

  0 is the older version.
  1 is newer version.

  I don't know the difference between them.

  piskac@en.ecn.purdue.edu