[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm <was Re: Need help d/l w/Xmodem>

wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) (07/12/90)

I never use Xmodem. I used punter <or tried to> and failed.
does this help?

-Mark Dolengo

mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford,134D LC,319-335-5506,) (07/13/90)

From article <1990Jul11.201551.2460@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian):
> I never use Xmodem. I used punter <or tried to> and failed.
> does this help?
>
> -Mark Dolengo

Does anyone know if you can custom define the cursor keys and so forth
with Desterm 2.0?  I am using Desterm 1.(something) and it works great with
some editors I use in VT100 emulation mode, but not others.  I call to
different systems and use different editors on those systems.  Some editors
I use require different CTRL sequences to move the cursor.  It would be
great if I could tell DesTerm to use these CTRL codes instead of what it uses
so that I could use my cursor keys.

Any help would be great.

cstewart@shiloh.UUCP (Chris Stewart) (07/13/90)

I would like to point out, in the documentation for Desterm that the
punter problem is mentioned. He had the specs for a newer version of
punter that I have never run across. It generally will work in single
transfer mode, but not multi-transfer mode. As for the xmodem, I have
never had any problems with it. I used rxsx umodem and xmodem with it.
The only problem I've had with the ymodem is in the send mode. I can't
get it to send anything but one file and that the first on a disk.
Ymodem works great in recieve mode though.

wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) (07/14/90)

is there Desterm 2.0 yet?

I want to know if anyone has any experience with "Ultraterm V3.0" or
Dialogue 128, or "handyterm 8.*" esp. with 2400. Since I call mostly C/G cBM
BBS's, i have had problems multi d/ling on the Cnets but only the Cnets <128,
V4.0>

but I digress.
one other question, does anyone know what is the fastest protocol for file Xfers? is it Wmodem?

-Mark Dolengo

cstewart@shiloh.UUCP (Chris Stewart) (07/14/90)

In article <1846@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mford@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Mark Ford,134D LC,319-335-5506,) writes:
>Does anyone know if you can custom define the cursor keys and so forth
>with Desterm 2.0?  I am using Desterm 1.(something) and it works great with
>some editors I use in VT100 emulation mode, but not others.  I call to
>different systems and use different editors on those systems.  Some editors
>I use require different CTRL sequences to move the cursor.  It would be
>great if I could tell DesTerm to use these CTRL codes instead of what it uses
>so that I could use my cursor keys.

First off is desterm 2.0 released yet? Second off, my experiance with
cursor keys has been the following. I have accounts on four XENIX or
SYSV systems, one is a tandy model 2000 (an upgraded model 16) on this
system vi will correctly use the cursor keys, but will not throw me into
vt100 keypad application mode, so I dont know if the keypad works
correctly. The other systems I'm on throw me into keypad application
mode but with not use the codes for either the keypad or the cursor
keys.

I've compiled micro-emacs on 3 of the systems with the VT100 cursor key
interpert set, but it will not use the vt100 cursor keys. Can anyone
help me with this?

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (07/15/90)

In article <208@shiloh.UUCP> cstewart@shiloh.UUCP (Chris Stewart) writes:
>First off is desterm 2.0 released yet? Second off, my experiance with

   No, DesTerm 2.00 has not yet been released. There are several reasons
for this, but it suffices to say that Matt has become sufficiently
eager to release it that he's wrapping things up fairly quickly.

   We are running off the manual today. By the end of the week, 2.0
packages should be shipping to registrants who didn't get 1.02 from
Matt.

>cursor keys has been the following. I have accounts on four XENIX or
>SYSV systems, one is a tandy model 2000 (an upgraded model 16) on this
>system vi will correctly use the cursor keys, but will not throw me into
>vt100 keypad application mode, so I dont know if the keypad works
>correctly. The other systems I'm on throw me into keypad application
>mode but with not use the codes for either the keypad or the cursor
>keys.

   DesTerm's VT-102 mode supports evereything that a Commodore 128 can
support, and that includes full numeric and application modes for the
keypad. When in ANSI or VT-102 mode, hitting a cursor key will send
the correct ESC sequence as defined in the ANSI standard.

   Unfortunately, you can't load a new keyboard translation table. This
is something that I have encouraged Matt to consider, but it hasn't come
up as much of a priority.

>I've compiled micro-emacs on 3 of the systems with the VT100 cursor key
>interpert set, but it will not use the vt100 cursor keys. Can anyone
>help me with this?

   Sorry, EMACS is one editor I've never used, let alone compiled.

   Geoff

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

In article <206@shiloh.UUCP> cstewart@shiloh.UUCP (Chris Stewart) writes:
>I would like to point out, in the documentation for Desterm that the
>punter problem is mentioned. He had the specs for a newer version of
>punter that I have never run across. It generally will work in single
>transfer mode, but not multi-transfer mode.

   I think I should clarify this. The Punter protocols (PTP and C1,
known as 'old' and 'new Punter' protocols, respectively) are clearly
defined and DesTerm uses some of the code that Steve Punter released
into the public domain for its C1 implementation.

   There are, as far as we have been able to find, THREE patches to
the C1 code that were designed to allow batch transfers. These were
never very well documented, and DesTerm 1.02 only supports the most
recent of the three (the only robust version). DesTerm 2.0 should
work with the second version of "multi-Punter" transfers.

   Please keep in mind that these batch alterations were not designed
by Steve Punter!

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul13.224750.15878@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) writes:
>is there Desterm 2.0 yet?

Not yet, but any day soon, supposedly.  Matt is putting the final
touches on the manuals.

>I want to know if anyone has any experience with "Ultraterm V3.0" or
>Dialogue 128, or "handyterm 8.*" esp. with 2400. Since I call mostly C/G cBM
>BBS's, i have had problems multi d/ling on the Cnets but only the Cnets <128,
>V4.0>

Ultraterm III doesn't have a C/G mode...the most it can do is disable the
ASCII/PETSCII translation, which IMHO, doesn't match up to DesTerm.  The only
thing that Ultraterm has over DesTerm v1.02 is the ability to edit the buffer,
and built-in REU support.  Both of these deficiencies have been rectified with
the new version of DesTerm.  The other two, I have never seen.

   Daryl Turner
      <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>