[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm

Matthew.Desmond@f178.n221.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Matthew Desmond) (06/16/89)

Oh great Lord of Sith,

  Why not fork out a long distance phone call to my system, let SYSOP know who
  you are and ask to be made a DesTerm128 tester.[519-747-5322]  (alias are
  not allowed, be sure to mention that you are Lord of Sith).  When I read the
  message, I will give you access to the program and you can test it all you
  want.  The VT102 is now (as far as I can tell) perfect (according to two
  test programs and a whole bunch of people).

DesTerm is currcntly being tested before the V1.02 release, and I think those
of you that did not like V1.01 will be pleased with the new features...

  Matt.

--
 Matthew Desmond - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!178!Matthew.Desmond

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey) (09/29/89)

  Could someone with time on their hands, and a copy of DesTerm for the c128
(preferably the newest version but beggers can't be choosers) please encode
it and post it in comp.sys.cbm (since we have no comp.binaries.cbm). I need
the program for several users on the system I use here in Lousiville, KY.
The management of the system is considering supplying new subscribers to the
system PD terminal programs for their system (that support vt100 and 1 or more
protocals). Since from what I understand, DesTerm is the best emulator for
the c128, I suggested that theyput that along with Kermit 2.2 on the disk
for c128. We do not have access to an archive site from our site so I cannot
download the program from any of the archives. aTdHvAaNnKcSe if you can help
me out... (Oh disregard my Amiga boasts, I am still a c64 lover at heart,
Amiga just stole my eyes and ears....When I do serious work, I use my c128!
:-)

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                |      ///  //  \\

wmh@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (William M. Harris) (10/12/89)

Could someone mail me the latest version of Desterm?  I have version 1.00 which
does not work very well with our systems (bugs in the VT100 emulation I suspect)
I've tried many C-128 terminal programs and still haven't found one which works
with vi.
                            Thanx in advance
                            wmh@phobos.cis.ksu.edu

--
Alpha-Mistral-F2-Windsurfing Hawaii-Fanatic-ART-Hobie-O'Neil-Gul-Body Glove
 SURFIN@KSUVM.BITNET     |  That which does not Kill us makes us stronger.

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (10/13/89)

In article <4045@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> wmh@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (William M. Harris) writes:
>Could someone mail me the latest version of Desterm?

Post it!  Post it, I say!  Post it to the net!

(Along with a few instructions on how to get it safely to a useable
Commodore format, please!)

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (10/16/89)

I have just gotten DesTerm 1.00 and have been impressed.... But, There have
been some very strange things happening with it...for example, right now i am
typing on a line that contains commodore graphics symbols instead of alphabeti
c characters. For some reason it will print on certain lines only graphics and
this only happens sometimes. I have no idea what is going on. When the normal
characters scroll up into these lines of grphic charaters, they toochange into
graphic character equivilents of the normal characters. And this only seems to
happen after a vt code has been sent! What can I do for this? Also, I can not
get the phone book autodialer to work? Should this work in this version? It
pops up a dialer window, but just sits there and does not dial nor pick up
the line...eventually it exits and goes back to terminal mode. I have the
dial string all set correctly... Also, the LEDS don't seem to do anything...
I am impressed by the terminal though, I would like to get a newer version of
it with either bug fixes or jut a version that has not been corrupted as mine
seems to have been.... BTW I am using the ibmset characters...I really like
the 52 line modes, I have never saw that done on a c128 before and it was very
impressive. one more small problem is getting it to wotk correctly with
rogue and other games similar to that. When I move vertically inthese games,
the line to the right of the cursor gets deleted by one character on each move
I make....Should it do this? When I was using kermit I never had this problem.
I did however have the same problem on vt100-128 from the 1670 disk! Any help
in these areas would be appreciated. (actually a repost of the newest version
would be nicer!)

For the guy asking about setting kermit. To set the baud rate to 1200 you would
go KERMIT>set baud 1200
And to set it to 80 columns (hardware chip) you go..
KERMIT>set screen commodore-128
TO do a soft-80 screen you type..
KERMIT> set screen 80
Not too hard huh? Well later.....

                                                        Byron

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                |      ///  //  \\
uunet!ukma!corpane!disk!specter         |  \\\///  //====\\
"Sometimes death is better..." - S. King|   \\\/  //      \\ m i g a

ged@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ged) (03/09/90)

I currently got a hold of Desterm and was wondering if someone who uses
it can help me.  I really like all the features and thinking about
registering it.  However, I have one small problem and that is trying to
figure out how to use the auto dialer from the dial menu.

After saving numbers and all, I simply select dial number, select the
number and nothing happens.  I get an additional wiindow that shows the
number being dialed but nothing happens.  Status under the number shows
nothing.  I have been able to dial numbers just fine from the terminal
mode using Hayes commands, but it gets to be a real pain.

i suspect that it may have to do with the intial sequence but I have
played with this string forever, never getting the auto dialer to work.
Maybe everyone has this problem?  I have a c128D with a 1670 modem...

Thanx in advance.

 Ged  -  "ambition is a poor excuse for not being lazy"
          ^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/11/90)

In article <1674@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> ged@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ged) writes:
>I currently got a hold of Desterm and was wondering if someone who uses
>it can help me.

   As co-author, I think I'm qualified to think out loud. <grin>

>After saving numbers and all, I simply select dial number, select the
>number and nothing happens.  I get an additional wiindow that shows the
>number being dialed but nothing happens.  Status under the number shows
>nothing.  I have been able to dial numbers just fine from the terminal
>mode using Hayes commands, but it gets to be a real pain.
>
>i suspect that it may have to do with the intial sequence but I have
>played with this string forever, never getting the auto dialer to work.
>Maybe everyone has this problem?  I have a c128D with a 1670 modem...

   It sounds like your signal inversion is incorrect and the modem is
ignoring the dial command (which should be "ATD" for all Hayes-type
modems, including both versions of the 1670). I doubt that the setup
string is the problem (at least, not the only one), as that shouldn't
prevent the modem from dialing at all.

   Standard procedure for modem setup is in the manual, though I must
admit that it's more than a bit confusing, especially if all the controls
called for aren't easy to find (or available at all) on the modem.

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (03/11/90)

> >After saving numbers and all, I simply select dial number, select the
> >number and nothing happens.  I get an additional wiindow that shows the
> >number being dialed but nothing happens.  Status under the number shows
> >nothing.  I have been able to dial numbers just fine from the terminal
> >mode using Hayes commands, but it gets to be a real pain.
> >
> >i suspect that it may have to do with the intial sequence but I have
> >played with this string forever, never getting the auto dialer to work.
> >Maybe everyone has this problem?  I have a c128D with a 1670 modem...

I too have had the problem with the v1.01 of desterm. The modem just would not
dial and I tried inverting the signal from the menu and various other things.
This was definately fixed in version 1.02, just grab a copy of it from one of
the mail servers and your troubles should be over. I'm not sure what caused it
but I believe the modem never even received any signals. adios...

Byron Guernsey

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/13/90)

In article <1780@disk.UUCP> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>I too have had the problem with the v1.01 of desterm. The modem just would not
>dial and I tried inverting the signal from the menu and various other things.
>This was definately fixed in version 1.02, just grab a copy of it from one of
>the mail servers and your troubles should be over. I'm not sure what caused it
>but I believe the modem never even received any signals. adios...

   Matt has pointed this out to me; I was too quick to assume that the person
having trouble was already using 1.02.

   Sadly, 1.02 is not a perfect fix - if the modem control line inversion
setting is *correct*, DesTerm may crash during bootup because of an IRQ
servicing problem. The solution to this is simply to open the RS-232 port,
write something to it, and then close it:

OPEN5,2,0,CHR$(6):PRINT#5,"ATZ":CLOSE5

   If, for some strange reason, you PREFER v1.01, there are fixes for
problems with the 1670 (use this fix if you have a 1670) and for the VDC
(use this fix *ONLY* if your 80-column screen loses a character down one
side):

===== cut here =====
Date: 24 Jun 89 08:16:15
From: Matthew Desmond
Subj: DesTerm fixes

In the past few weeks, people have been complaining that DesTerm V1.01 has two
major problems:  Doesn't work with 1670, and some VDC versions have trouble
with the screen.  I have announced the fix  for the 1670 many times, but as of
yet I have not given any help on the VDC problem.

A number of people have posted fixes (that only work in certain situations,
and many people have sent me their fixes.  None of them work in the
way that the one I am going to give, and the others should *NOT* be used (they
are dangerous!).  To do either modification, first type:

DLOAD"DESTERM"

If you want to fix the 1670 problem, type

POKE22211,44

If you wish to fix the VDC problem, type

BANK0
POKE32116,64
POKE32127,64

Then, type the following line to save the file:

DSAVE"@DESTERM"

Note, if you want, you may use both pokes.  ALSO:  ONLY use the pokes if you
have a 1670 or are experiencing the screen problems.

Please post these pokes everywhere that you see DesTerm available...

Matthew Desmond, author of DesTerm 128.
===== end =====

   Geoff Welsh, contributing author to DesTerm 128

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.

hinkle@acsu.buffalo.edu (steven j hinkle) (08/01/90)

I was told that Desterm supports 2400 baud.  Is that correct?
And is it a VT100 emulator?  If so, can someone tell me the
number of a BBS that currently has Desterm? (A number in NY
would be great or one close by)  Or if you know of an FTP site
that has it, that would be even better.  (My phone bill is high
enough :-)

Thanks in Advance,
Steve
--
|  Steven Hinkle   "The Quaker"       |  Always look on the bright side.|
|  University of Buffalo              |  If there isn't one, check the  |