[comp.sys.cbm] power c assembler

amewalduck@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Andrew Walduck) (07/28/90)

Does anyone know of a 6502 assembler for the C64 that will output object files
that are compatible with the POWER C (or C POWER) package?

Also is anyone out there using POWER C heavily for C64 development work? Does
anyone have any POWER C tricks, bug reports, info on using with assembler, etc?

Thanx
Andrew Walduck
amewalduck@crocus.uwaterloo.edu

klf1305@che_sun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul27.184702.728@watdragon.waterloo.edu> amewalduck@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Andrew Walduck) writes:
>Does anyone know of a 6502 assembler for the C64 that will output object files
>that are compatible with the POWER C (or C POWER) package?
>
>Also is anyone out there using POWER C heavily for C64 development work? Does
>anyone have any POWER C tricks, bug reports, info on using with assembler, etc?
>
>Thanx
>Andrew Walduck
>amewalduck@crocus.uwaterloo.edu

	Info on using assembler is included in the manual.  The only
assemblers that create intermediate files (.obj or whatever you would
call them on the 64) were merlin and the Commodore assembler.

	The Power C manual included examples for the Power Assembler.
I didn't like this assembler because it uses a little known feature of
the 1541 drive, the append option.  My hard disk doesn't support the
append option.  Oh well.

	When I was doing 64 developement, nobody did any development in
C for the 64.  This was about 4 years ago.  Now, it would be impossible,
with the size of the games that are being written.

	Kelly Fergason

lockemer@astro.pc.ab.com (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul27.184702.728@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, amewalduck@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Andrew Walduck) writes:
> Does anyone know of a 6502 assembler for the C64 that will output object files
> that are compatible with the POWER C (or C POWER) package?

Any 6502 assembler should work with it. I have Power Assembler and Merlin 128.
Power C contains the sys() function which allows for jumping to ML routines.
As far as I know, you don't use object files created by the assembler, you just
load the ML routines into memory where they can then be accessed via Power C's
sys() function.

> Also is anyone out there using POWER C heavily for C64 development work? Does
> anyone have any POWER C tricks, bug reports, info on using with assembler, etc?

I used Power C 128 to do my college senior project. For small programs it works
like a charm, but there are some problems (at least on the 128) that arise when
developing large projects. The fact that Power C is POORLY!!! documented does not
help the cause. It would be easier to address problems if you have specific
questions rather than start rambling. I will say that I have figured out how to
access relative files (not covered in the manual) and have discovered problems
when more than one large structure is used. There are some work arounds though.
Also, if your project is large enough to push the memory limit, lock-ups start
occurring.

Hope this helps...

Todd Lockemer