[comp.sys.cbm] Desterm's 50 line display with 64K-video-ram

scott@max.u.washington.edu (08/11/90)

When I was using Desterm (which I think it is a great terminal prg),
I noticed that it had a mode that would display 50 lines.
When I try this mode, it indeed gives me 50 lines; however, at this
mode the letters are kind of unlegible.
What I was wondering is whether upgrading the video chip to 64K
would make any difference in the display? Present the C128 has a 16k

Scott.

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (08/13/90)

In article <14122.26c2a3e2@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
>When I was using Desterm (which I think it is a great terminal prg),
>I noticed that it had a mode that would display 50 lines.
>When I try this mode, it indeed gives me 50 lines; however, at this
>mode the letters are kind of unlegible.
>What I was wondering is whether upgrading the video chip to 64K
>would make any difference in the display? Present the C128 has a 16k

   NO. Upgrading to 64K VDC RAM will have no effect whatsoever on the
resolution or legibility of the display. Since DesTerm is using the VDC
in text mode at all times, 16K VDC RAM is enough room for the 80*50
display and the character set.

   You may find that playing with the brightness and contrast controls
lessens the jitter significantly, and some colours tend to show worse
than others. Failing that, a larger monitor with high persistence
phosphors should give a nice display... if you happen to have one
lying around!

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.