[comp.sys.cbm] C128D

Belrek@cup.portal.com (John V Dufresne) (10/13/89)

I, too have a C128D.  I have tried using FH version 6.0 with it but it would
not work; that is until I switched the 1571compat. internal to the C128D to
drive #9 and then used a 1571 drive as drive 8.  It works fine now.  I also
have had problems with using many word processors, like Geos, when the
1571 compat. was drive 8 and the computer does not play digitized sound well
. For example the game Cave of the Word Wizard a childrens spelling game
requires the Wizard in the game to say the word aloud and have the child
respond with the correct spelling; unfortunately one has to turn the voluem
of the Monitor/T.V.(have tried it with both) up to maximum to hear him
whisper.  I tried the same game with a C128(old version) and the game
works perfectly as do SID tunes like the theme from Skate or Die(digitized
sound).  Any others have the same problems?  I have had the system checked
and it is in perfect shape, design flaws.

jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (10/13/89)

In comp.sys.cbm article <23035@cup.portal.com>, Belrek@cup.portal.com (John V Dufresne) wrote:
>For example the game Cave of the Word Wizard a childrens spelling game
>requires the Wizard in the game to say the word aloud and have the child
>respond with the correct spelling; unfortunately one has to turn the voluem
>of the Monitor/T.V.(have tried it with both) up to maximum to hear him
>whisper.  I tried the same game with a C128(old version) and the game
>works perfectly as do SID tunes like the theme from Skate or Die(digitized
>sound).  Any others have the same problems?  I have had the system checked
>and it is in perfect shape, design flaws.

Actually, I believe it is a design flaw that the speech synthesis relies on.
A long time ago, a friend was working on a speech digitizing and recreation
program that relied on the SID to provide a pop when needed to generate the
sounds (I believe this was accomplished via the volume register).  Similar
to the pop you hear when you put the SID volume from 0 to 15 suddenly...

In any case, I do also recall that he had some problems when he ran into a
newer version of the SID which had the popping problem greatly reduced....
his program became quite mute.  That's what you get for relying on sneaky
techniques and hardware bugs.

I'd be willing to bet that the Word Wizard game also relies on this or some
other similar SID bug to provide it's speech capability.  Very bad
programming practice.  There's nothing wrong with your C128D, if this is the
case.  There's something wrong with the program!  :-|

(Gee, how many times have I gotten on a soapbox about compatibility?)

--
jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  		Joe Greco at FidoNet 1:154/200
USnail: 9905 W Montana Ave			     PunterNet Node 30 or 31

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (10/16/89)

In article <471@uwm.edu> jgreco@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) writes:

>Actually, I believe it is a design flaw that the speech synthesis relies on.
>A long time ago, a friend was working on a speech digitizing and recreation
>program that relied on the SID to provide a pop when needed to generate the
>sounds (I believe this was accomplished via the volume register).  Similar
>to the pop you hear when you put the SID volume from 0 to 15 suddenly...
>
>In any case, I do also recall that he had some problems when he ran into a
>newer version of the SID which had the popping problem greatly reduced....
>his program became quite mute.  That's what you get for relying on sneaky
>techniques and hardware bugs.

You're right, Joe.  I talked with one of the test engineers for the 6582/
8580 SID chip, which is the new 9 VDC version used in 64Cs and 128Ds.  He
said that a lot of work had been done to clean up the filtering, and as a
result, the behavior is quite different from the 6581 SID.  You have to use
radically different capacitor values for the 6582/8580 as well.  I have noticed
poor sound from digitized samples when played on the 6582/8580 too.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

e04@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jonathan Fricke) (08/02/90)

Help!!!

I own a C128D and want to install a device change swith on it like my
1541 Drive has.

Where are the jumper blocks???? I Can't seem to find them.

Thanks

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/05/90)

In article <5252@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, e04@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jonathan Fricke)
says:

>I own a C128D and want to install a device change swith on it like my
>1541 Drive has.
>
>Where are the jumper blocks???? I Can't seem to find them.

If you're facing the front of the machine, they should be in the
left front corner, about 3 inches back, 2 inches from the left.
They strongly resemble the jumpers on the old 1541; the semi-circles
connected by tiny solder bridges.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (08/16/90)

In article <90216.221323JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>In article <5252@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, e04@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jonathan Fricke)
>says:
>>
>>I own a C128D and want to install a device change swith on it like my
>>1541 Drive has.  Where are the jumper blocks???? I Can't seem to find them.
>
>If you're facing the front of the machine, they should be in the
>left front corner, about 3 inches back, 2 inches from the left.
>They strongly resemble the jumpers on the old 1541; the semi-circles
>connected by tiny solder bridges.
>                                                            Kurt

Hmmm.  Last I looked the jumper blocks were near the center of the board,
about 1 inch east of the power supply and floppy drive headers (next to
the 6522 at U106).  Cut the front one for U9, the back one for U10, both
for U11.  If you are going to install a switch, place it between the
side of the jumper pad nearest the 6522 and ground.

--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				domain:	fred@cbmvax.commodore.com

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380