[comp.sys.cbm] CBM 8032 questions...

samuelm@umd5.umd.edu (Samuel J. Mitchell) (09/13/90)

Hello,
   I just purchased a surplus Commodore 8032-32B, manufactured
in 1980.  I realize that it is not quite the computing powerhouse
it once claimed to be, but my interests are chiefly in 6502 assembly
and some simple hardware projects.  I have three major questions
regarding this relic:

1)  Where ( if ever ) were memory maps, io port pin-outs, CBM8032
    tricks&traps, etc. published?
    Titles of reference books, magazine articles, or CBM manuals
    specific to the CBM 8032 would all be appreciated.  Currently,
    I have no documentation at all for this machine.

2)  On the side of the machine, there are four switches ( see below )

 <--keyboard (front )                        power cord (back)-->

         3-way       3-way            2-way       2-way
         switch      switch           switch      switch

      | R  R  P  |  6  6  P |      | R  U  R  |  O  U  O |
      | E  /  R  |  8  5  R |      | A  D  O  |  F  D  N |
      | A  W  O  |  0  0  O |      | M  1  M  |  F  1    |
      | D     G  |  9  2  G |      |    2     |     1    |
      |__________|__________|      |__________|__________|
           |           |                 |          |
           |           |                 |          |

  The only switch that seems to have any effect is the 3-way
6502/6809/PROG:  when set to 6502, the CBM powers up with the
normal Basic 4.0, nnnnn bytes free message.  When switched to
6809 mode, the screen clears, and the cursor sits in the upper
left of the screen (home), flickers slightly, and does nothing
else interesting.  Do I have a bad 6809?  Do I need to set the
other switches differently? What do the other switches DO?  Is
there a God?  Any answers would be appreciated.

3)  I have no peripherals.  If anyone has a working datasette
    (old cassette drive) they will part with cheaply, I'm
    interested.  Alternatively, if there are any circuit diagrams
    for building a simple interface to a 1200 baud Hayes-compat.
    modem, I have a modem I can use to do io with a vaxstation on
    the net.  Ref's to diagrams would be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
- Sam     (samuelm@umd5.umd.edu)     (301) 405-6912 work.

sjk@ut-emx (bob) (09/14/90)

Samuel J. Mitchell writes:
> Hello,
>    I just purchased a surplus Commodore 8032-32B, manufactured
> in 1980.  I realize that it is not quite the computing powerhouse
> it once claimed to be, but my interests are chiefly in 6502 assembly
> and some simple hardware projects.  I have three major questions
> regarding this relic:

Surplus? Are others available?

> 1)  Where ( if ever ) were memory maps, io port pin-outs, CBM8032
>     tricks&traps, etc. published?

There is a great bok out with memory maps for all the PETs.
Unfortunately, I'm out of town right now and can't get to my copy.
E-mail in a week if you still need some information. I should have
a fairly complete memory map and even some PD assemblers.

> 2)  On the side of the machine, there are four switches ( see below )
>
>  <--keyboard (front )                        power cord (back)-->
>
>          3-way       3-way            2-way       2-way
>          switch      switch           switch      switch
>
>       | R  R  P  |  6  6  P |      | R  U  R  |  O  U  O |
>       | E  /  R  |  8  5  R |      | A  D  O  |  F  D  N |
>       | A  W  O  |  0  0  O |      | M  1  M  |  F  1    |
>       | D     G  |  9  2  G |      |    2     |     1    |
>       |__________|__________|      |__________|__________|
>            |           |                 |          |
>            |           |                 |          |

>   The only switch that seems to have any effect is the 3-way
> 6502/6809/PROG:  when set to 6502, the CBM powers up with the
> normal Basic 4.0, nnnnn bytes free message.  When switched to
> 6809 mode, the screen clears, and the cursor sits in the upper
> left of the screen (home), flickers slightly, and does nothing
> else interesting.  Do I have a bad 6809?  Do I need to set the
> other switches differently? What do the other switches DO?  Is
> there a God?  Any answers would be appreciated.

Wow! What you reall have in not an 8032, but a Super PET model
SP-9000.  It was CBM's top-of-the-line scientific machine. (I have
one, too. Whole system cost more tham my Amiga.)  In 6502 mode, the
machine behaves just like an 8032. When you switch to the 6809
mode, a menu should appear asking you which language to load from
disc.  It came with a Waterloo version of BASIC, Pascal, Fortran,
APL, COBOL, and assembly.  You must have a disc drive for these
languages, however; they are not in ROM.  They load into an extra
board of 64K which is addressable to the 8032 through a 4K window.
The switch next to the 6809 switch is a  write protect for
this RAM.  (It's been a while since I've used this much, so I may
be mistaken, but I know the general nature of this beast althought
I may be confused on the specifics.)

I can't quite remember the other two switches but it has something
to do with the two expansion ROMs on the 8032 side.  I believe
there are two ROMS one at $9000 and the other at $a000.  The 4k
address window sits at $9000, so you flick a switch to switch
between $9000 ROM and RAM.  I seem to remember my machine having
only two switches (the 6502/6509 and the Read/Prog); I had to
change some locations in memory to access either the ROM or RAM.
The UD11 switch has me confounded.

The flickering cursor sounds familiar, but you should get this
language menu as well. Try changing the other switches (though I'm
sure you have.)  Not sure what is wrong.  Open the PET up and make
sure this SP-9000 board is in there.  It should be a second
(sometimes third) layer with a cable runing onto the PET
motherboard's 6502 slot. Both the 6809 and the 6502 should be on
the SuperPET board.

> 3)  I have no peripherals.  If anyone has a working datasette
>     (old cassette drive) they will part with cheaply, I'm
>     interested.  Alternatively, if there are any circuit diagrams
>     for building a simple interface to a 1200 baud Hayes-compat.
>     modem, I have a modem I can use to do io with a vaxstation on
>     the net.  Ref's to diagrams would be helpful.

Don't have a spare cassette, though you will also need a disc drive
to use the 6809 stuff.  I have a 4040 drive for mine, but the 8050s
were standard for this machine.  They do come up for sale once in a
while.  The SuperPET board has it's own RS-232 port on it and there
are lots of terminal programs around for it (I have some on 4040
disc) so hooking up a modem there shouldn't be hard.  I've always
used a modem on the PET side through the parallel prot and a cable
and software from Skyles Electric Works in Mt. View, CA.  Don't
know where to find schematics for such a cable. Maybe back issues
of COMPUTE!

Good luck.  Feel free to E-mail me if you want more specifics;
I'd be happy to dig through my docs again.  I used to know that
machine inside and out!

Scot
sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu
sjk@emx.utexas.edu