[comp.sys.cbm] terminal progs?

warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) (08/28/90)

I would like to find out opinions on what to use for a terminal program for
my C128.  I don't have an RGB monitor and have rigged up 80 columns from
the connector to my composite monitor.

The reason I am asking is that I don't want to learn one and then find out
a feature I really wanted is available with another and have to relearn a
new program.

I currently am using a program with X-modem, 300/1200 baud, and no terminal
emulation.

Must Features:
  1200 baud, X-modem, A terminal protocal that can send a '|' (vertical bar)
  for unix interfacing.  C64 mode is fine but how fast can you go (baud rate)?

Wants:
  2400 & greater baud, Y/Z modem, VT52/100 emulation, 40 or 80 columns on
  my 128 (so I don't have to squint!).

I have or can get the following via ftp/other  and was wondering if you have
used any of these and what they can do:

    novaterm9, cbtermx.x, desterm102, nova128v1p4, teleterm128, crabterm
    runterm128 (can type this in)

Thanks for any biased or unbiased opinions on the above.  I appreciate any
help you can give.

Warren Tustin  warren@col.hp.com

treesh@bach.helios.nd.edu (08/29/90)

Try DESTERM for the C128.  It features several protocalls,and can even reach    baud rates of 9600!  The VT100/52 works, but even better for color RGB monitor  users is the full color ANSI de-codeing.  Ymodem, Xmodem, and punter are supported, but I have not yet seen ANY C64/128 program cabable of Zmodem.   Anyone who has please reply!!  I WANT IT!

ctfm

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent SULLIVAN) (09/01/90)

In article <16200012@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) writes:
[..]

>Must Features:
>  1200 baud, X-modem, A terminal protocal that can send a '|' (vertical bar)
>  for unix interfacing.  C64 mode is fine but how fast can you go (baud rate)?
>
>Wants:
>  2400 & greater baud, Y/Z modem, VT52/100 emulation, 40 or 80 columns on
>  my 128 (so I don't have to squint!).
>
>I have or can get the following via ftp/other  and was wondering if you have
>used any of these and what they can do:
>
>    novaterm9, cbtermx.x, desterm102, nova128v1p4, teleterm128, crabterm
>    runterm128 (can type this in)

I would definitely recommend DesTerm 128 v2.0.  Version 2.0 is brand new and
is very full-featured.  In a commercial package, I would definitely recommend
Dialogue 128.  Both of these packages now support the SwiftLink-232 high-speed
serial interface from Dr. Evil Labs, so baud rates up through 38,400 are
possible.

Both packages have comprehensive script languages, VT-52/100 emulation and
a variety of protocols.  Dialogue also supports the CompuServe B protocol,
which DesTerm doesn't (at least currently--there is a provision to add in an
additional protocol module).  Neither package has Z-modem.

DesTerm v2 is very new and hasn't made the rounds yet to all of the usual
archive sites.  It will soon be available on GEnie, CIS, and Q-Link, and
should start showing up other places as well.

By the way, a new version of NovaTerm has just been released: 9.1.  It fixes
numerous bugs and adds support for the SwiftLink, plus 80-col ANSI graphics,
complete documentation, and other things.

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough) (09/01/90)

In article <16200012@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) asks:
> I would like to find out opinions on what to use for a terminal program for
> my C128.  I don't have an RGB monitor and have rigged up 80 columns from
> the connector to my composite monitor.

For native mode use, I'd say DesTerm 1.02, with a rapid upgrade to V2.0
when it comes out

> Must Features:
> 1200 baud,			[definitely]
> X-modem,			[also definite]
> A terminal protocal that can send a '|' (vertical bar)
> for unix interfacing.		[dunno, but it probably does it]

> Wants:
> 2400 & greater baud,		[DesTerm goes to 9600]
> Y/Z modem,			[Ymodem probably, Zmodem no]
> VT52/100 emulation,		[VT100 is there, and VT52]
> 40 or 80 columns on my 128	[does 80 cols OK]

For CP/M useage, you might want to look into QTERM. Going down the wish
list:

> Must Features:
> 1200 baud,			[yes]
> X-modem,			[yes]
> A terminal protocal that can send a '|' (vertical bar)
> for unix interfacing.		[yes - but you need to read the manual to
				 find it]

Then in a reply (article <379@news.nd.edu>) treesh@bach.helios.nd.edu asks:

> ..... but I have not yet seen ANY C64/128 program cabable of Zmodem.
> Anyone who has please reply!!  I WANT IT!

Dunno 'bout 64 or 128 mode programs, but at this time ZMP in CP/M mode
works (sort of). Also rumour has it that there is at least one team at
work on a decent Zmodem program for CP/M, which should be patchable to
work in CP/M mode on the 128. From all I can find, however, I don't
have a clue what is going on: how far they've got, when it's expected
out, or what.
--
	dg@pallio.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

tlo@cbnewsj.att.com (trevor.l.obermann) (09/05/90)

In article <XX00011b82@pallio.UUCP>, dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
> In article <16200012@col.hp.com> warren@col.hp.com (Warren Tustin) asks:
>
> > Wants:
> > 2400 & greater baud,		[DesTerm goes to 9600]
> > Y/Z modem,			[Ymodem probably, Zmodem no]
> > VT52/100 emulation,		[VT100 is there, and VT52]
> > 40 or 80 columns on my 128	[does 80 cols OK]

I have seen many references to Desterm and it's ability to comunicate at 9600
baud but has any one out there ever used it reliably at that speed? For file
transfers etc??? Or does anyone no of software that works reliably at 9600??

--
+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+
~  Trevor L. Obermann		Compuserve  71556,351			      ~

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.103220.8436@cbnewsj.att.com> tlo@cbnewsj.att.com (trevor.l.obermann) writes:

>I have seen many references to Desterm and it's ability to comunicate at 9600
>baud but has any one out there ever used it reliably at that speed? For file
>transfers etc??? Or does anyone no of software that works reliably at 9600??

If you want totally reliable 9600 baud on either a 64 or a 128, your best bet
would be the Swiftlink cartridge put out by Dr. Evil Labs.  It comes with
compatible software.

joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) (09/08/90)

DesTerm DOES have a 9600 baud setting, and I thought it was kind of
strange, because I thought the maximum baud rate for a C-64/128 was
2400? Is there really 9600 baud for the Commodore? If so, what is the
price tag on it?

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep7.202814.26846@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US>,
joystyk@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Joystyk) says:

>DesTerm DOES have a 9600 baud setting, and I thought it was kind of
>strange, because I thought the maximum baud rate for a C-64/128 was
>2400?

Yes, the 64's maximum is 2400, and to get that, the term program
must be FAST... no dirty code allowed.  THe 128, in fast mode,
is supposed to be able to handle 4800, though I've never seen it
done.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough) (09/17/90)

Kurt Tappe <jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu> says:
> Yes, the 64's maximum is 2400, and to get that, the term program
> must be FAST... no dirty code allowed.  THe 128, in fast mode,
> is supposed to be able to handle 4800, though I've never seen it
> done.

Assuming you use the RS232 code provided by Commodore. As someone once
said however, Commodore can't program their way out of a wet paper bag.
After having seen the Z80 code in their CP/M BIOS, I'd have to agree
with that. I'm a CP/M / Z80 programmer rather than 6510 / 8502, so that
opinion is based on the CP/M code. Suffice it to say they have a CPU
clocked at something like 6 MHz, but it gets a throughput of about 2 MHz.
I.e. they are wasting 65% of the CPU's horsepower in badly written
interrupt and screen I/O drivers.

Matt Desmond (and Geoff Welsh ???) got around the limits of the C128
for RS232 speed by the simple expedient of writing a new driver, and
replacing the one that CBM provide. The new driver in DesTerm is more
than capable of 9600, and with the SwiftLink Cartridge from Dr. Evil
Labs, I've heard noises of 38.4 KBPS from a C128 equipped with a
suitable copy of DesTerm (i.e. V2.00).
--

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (09/20/90)

In article <XX00011d08@pallio.UUCP> dg@pallio.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>After having seen the Z80 code in their CP/M BIOS, I'd have to agree
>with that. I'm a CP/M / Z80 programmer rather than 6510 / 8502, so that
>opinion is based on the CP/M code. Suffice it to say they have a CPU
>clocked at something like 6 MHz, but it gets a throughput of about 2 MHz.
>I.e. they are wasting 65% of the CPU's horsepower in badly written
>interrupt and screen I/O drivers.

   Actually, the Z80 is clocked at 4 MHz, but runs two cycles on/
two cycles off to accomodate the VIC chip's DMA. That is where it
gets its 'effective' 2 MHz speed.

UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
My comments do not represent and should not obligate anyone but myself.