[comp.sys.cbm] MERLIN question

ccastmr@prism.gatech.EDU (Mark J. Reed) (09/20/90)

	Any MERLIN users out there?  I want to allocate a block of storage
but not initialize it (no HEX, TXT, et).  I tried ORG *+nbytes, but
that just changes the pseudo-PC without actually allocating any storage......
when the code is assembled, those nbytes bytes aren't there at all!
I'm currently about 120 miles away from my manual, and there doesn't
seem to be a recognizable pseudo-op table in memory with Merlin...help!
	On another note, I recently discovered that Power C is no longer
available from the publisher... if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy, I
would appreciate it.  Super C is still available, but after my experience with
Super Pascal, I'm wary of anything vaguely related thereunto...

Mark J. Reed
uucp    : ..gatech!cc!mark             | Wanted: one .signature quotation.
Internet: mark@cc.gatech.edu           | Only witty/clever remarks need apply.
BITNET  : mark%cc@GITVM1               | Inquire within.

lockemer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (09/24/90)

In article <13892@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastmr@prism.gatech.EDU (Mark J. Reed) writes:
> 	Any MERLIN users out there?  I want to allocate a block of storage
> but not initialize it (no HEX, TXT, et).  I tried ORG *+nbytes, but
> that just changes the pseudo-PC without actually allocating any storage......

Try "DS x" where x is the number of bytes you wish to allocate. I'm pretty sure
that will work. I believe there is also a pseudo-op to allocate words, possibly
"DW x".

> when the code is assembled, those nbytes bytes aren't there at all!
> I'm currently about 120 miles away from my manual, and there doesn't
> seem to be a recognizable pseudo-op table in memory with Merlin...help!
> 	On another note, I recently discovered that Power C is no longer
> available from the publisher... if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy, I
> would appreciate it.  Super C is still available, but after my experience with
> Super Pascal, I'm wary of anything vaguely related thereunto...

I have both for the 128 and I like Power C better. Any programs you develop for
Super C require that you load Super C to run them which I think is ridiculous.
I think the 64 version of Super C might have an option to compile programs to
run independently of the shell, but Power C definitely allows this. Power C
also allows machine language subroutine calls and you can also confine your
program to a defined block of memory. Power C, however, has poor documentation
making it difficult to determine how to get certain things to work. It also has
problems when you start doing very serious programming, such as multiple
structures and very large programs. The conclusion I have come to is that, if
you are only going to do minor C programming, or are learning it, then I would
recommend Power C for the 64 or 128. If you are planning on doing some serious
C programming, you need to get a machine to handle it. I myself can't wait to
get the AMIGA 3000.

As for where to get Power C, call some of the mail order companies and ask if
they have it. Many times this program is not listed in their ads since it isn't
a large seller. I think I got it from either Briwall or Software International
(or something like that). Anyway, if it is really not available at all anymore,
then you will just have to locate someone who has it, or settle for the lesser
(my opinion) Super C, which should be readily available.

Todd Lockemer