[comp.sys.cbm] 1581 Questions

shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) (03/13/90)

Does anyone know how I could tell the difference between Version One and
Version Two of the 1581 Commodore disk drive?

How does the AUTOBOOT feature of the 1581 work? Will the 1581 autoboot using
a 64?

                                            Thanks in advance,

shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu

wbks@tygra.UUCP (Sean Burke) (03/14/90)

Well, supposedly version 2 of the 1581 is more reliable and quieter, due to
new roms, at least that's what I've heard.  The 1581 does autoboot quite
nicely off of the 128, in fact, the term I'm using is autobooted off of
an 1581.  The 64, hwever, will NOT autoboot.  Also, If you're using a 1581
with a 64, I'd suggest getting a drive accellerator like WarpSpeed to make
drive access faster.
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/14/90)

Somewhere within Zero Page or some other location of the drive's memory, there
should be a signature stamp (rom code).  A couple of memory reads should
get this number, as for the exact location, I couldn't tell you off of the
top of my head...  Might want to take a look at Inside the 1581...

-Dino Khoe
Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar12.170930.2984@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> shikascs@clutx.clarkson.edu (Glo) writes:
>Does anyone know how I could tell the difference between Version One and
>Version Two of the 1581 Commodore disk drive?

Try sending the reset command ("UJ" or "U;") to channel 15, then reading
the error channel message.  This should result in two different messages
depending on the ROM revision, but I only have a 1541 so I can't confirm
this for the 1581.

>How does the AUTOBOOT feature of the 1581 work? Will the 1581 autoboot using
>a 64?

You won't be able to autoboot anything with a C64 unless you have a modified
kernel or a cartridge plugged in.  The support for autobooting just isn't
in the ROM.

--
>>> Dan Fandrich

CDNnet:     shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Compu$erve: 72365,306

fred@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Bowen) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar19.031805.16696@ccu.umanitoba.ca> Dan Fandrich writes:
>In article <1990Mar12.170930.2984@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> Glo writes:
>>Does anyone know how I could tell the difference between Version One and
>>Version Two of the 1581 Commodore disk drive?
>
>Try sending the reset command ("UJ" or "U;") to channel 15, then reading
>the error channel message.  This should result in two different messages
>depending on the ROM revision, but I only have a 1541 so I can't confirm
>this for the 1581.

There has never been a revision to the 1581 ROM.  Many folks confuse the
controller swap involving the first 1581's produced with a ROM swap.  The
easiest way to tell which controller is present is to look (although opening
the case will void your warranty).  The controller chip, which looks just
like a ROM chip, is in location U4.  It should be branded WD1772.  I had
posted many moons ago a short program which checked the controller type-
perhaps you can find a copy, or if necessary I can repost it.

>>How does the AUTOBOOT feature of the 1581 work? Will the 1581 autoboot using
>>a 64?
>
>You won't be able to autoboot anything with a C64 unless you have a modified
>kernel or a cartridge plugged in.  The support for autobooting just isn't
>in the ROM.

This is correct for the likely context of the question.  Some folks, however,
are confused by the two functions called 'autoboot'.  From the computer's
point of view, it means automatically loading a program into the computer
and running it.  The stock C64 will not do this.  There is another type of
'autobooting' documented in the 1581 manual.  This is a rarely used facility
which causes the drive itself to load a program into *its* memory and run
it.  This can be very tricky, but could be used, for example, to renumber
the drive, change its step rate, etc. without even having it connected to a
computer.  Refer to the drive's manual for details.
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!fred
				domain:	fred@cbmvax.commodore.com
				tele:	215 431-9100

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

ez001287@deneb (Thomas Lew) (10/01/90)

The questions of my original post appear to have become somewhat muddled in
discussion, so I thought that I'd refresh them a bit...

Part 1:  A few months ago, my 1581 disk drive was the victim of some vandalism
         and a few parts of it became irrepairably damaged.  As a result, the
         drive still reads and writes ok, but the disks have to be manually
         inserted an ejected (the internal drive shield has been removed and
         a small metal release tab must be moved manually).

         Does anyone have a non-functioning 1581 drive that they don't want
         any more and will sell to me (cheap) for the spare parts that I need.
         The parts that I need are neither mechanical nor electrical, so
         practically any one will do fine for my needs.  If you have such a
         drive to sell, please contact me via email at:
         ez001287@deneb.ucdavis.edu
         as soon as possible.  Prices are negotiable!

Part 2:  The second part of my question is related (sort of).  Is it possible
         to take an IBM-compatible (low density) 3 1/2" drive and connect it
         to a 1581 controller board and have it work?